How do I get my printer to be wireless?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnbro23, May 19, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I have way too much stuff on my small desk... an eMac, speakers, lamp, keyboard, mouse, iPod dock, USB hub, phone, externallamp, pencil sharpener... you get the picture.

I've got a huge printer here too, I need to get it off my desk. The chords aren't long enough to reach to anywhere else, so I'm thinking maybe bluetooth might work?

So is there some bluetooth thing I can buy to transfer stuff to my printer? I have BT in my eMac. I also have an AE card, but I think an AExpress would be too expensive for me.

2. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

3. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you think they sell longer cords? And do all printers have the same cord going from the computer to the printer?

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Your going to need a wireless printer server. Most don't get less expensive than the AExpress. I do, however, remember seeing a big honkin' one for around $70.

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Yeah AirPort express is probably your best option. Sorry its not a cheaper option but at lest you can increase your wireless area.

6. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I just looked at amazon and they've got some usb cables that look like they should hook right into my printer. They're only $10. That seems like the best option.

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Isn't it just a standard A to B USB cable? [​IMG]

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if it's a standard usb cable then you can indeed buy them in different lengths

9. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I just realized that from the picture and the back of my printer. I think I'll try Radio Shack tomorrow and if they don't have one then maybe Target would work. I need a long one, like 20'.

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

go on ebay for cords, they're gonna be waaaay cheaper than the store.

11. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I stopped at Radio Shack today, they had a 16' cord for $35. I looked on eBay and found a 25' cord for $15. I need the extra length and its a great price.

Thanks for the help everyone!

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You've got a 50% chance of the 25' one working (at least, that's my personal experience with 25' USB's) - that's beyond the usual USB length limit. Your EBay purchase also has shipping costs, and some eBay sellers overcharge shipping to make more money.

It would be ducky if you'd tell us what model of printer you actually have...

Me. I would have gone for the wireless pencil sharpener...

13. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol

Well, this guy's got 5,000 points and 100% positive feedback, so I'm not too worried. The item was $10, with $5 shipping.

I've got an HP PSC 1315xi all-in-one printer.

Here's the link to the cord I got.

14. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

CanadaRAM is right...usb length is around 15 feet...if the usb cord doesnt work, you could always buy a usb repeater and hook it up to it...just google search usb repeater....

15. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

or if you have a wireless router connected to your eMac, and if you have another mac with Airport installed, your could just connect the other computer up in a diffrent room or spot, an enable printer sharing in the sharing (sys. prefs.); then you could just print to the other computer wirelessly.

just another option.