How do I get rid of hiccups?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Applespider, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Today we had our bonus announced at work and went out for a few drinks.

I've got hiccups. Suggestions please for how to get rid of them.. tried and tested if possible!

2. dcv macrumors G3

You need to drink a glass of water upside down!

Kinda hard to describe, but you should figure it out without dribbling too much over your chin. :p Don't know why but this does actually work.

(I assume it was a good bonus then ;) Congrats!)

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Boo!

Did that work? :D

Failing that, try counting down backwards from 100. Or breathing slowly and deeply through the mouth. Or even better, try both at the same time.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hold your breath for as long as you can.

...I'm not trying to kill you I swear [​IMG]

5. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Now I was going to just try and scare you.

But if I put

I'd of been accused of spam, lol.

Hiccups can be hard to get rid of, I've always found that the longer i actively try and get rid of them, holding my breath, drinking as much water in one go as i can, etc etc, then the longer my hiccups stay, but I've personally found that if i just try and ignore them, and let myself hiccup, then they just go without my realising.

6. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Hold your breath for as long as you can possibly manage. And then attempt you drink a cup of water backwards. Should deal with it. ;)

EDIT: WOW, 3 replies in a minute. :p

7. danny_w macrumors 601

What I do is take a deep breath, drink as much water as I can quickly, exhale quickly, take another deep breath, and hold it as long as I can. This almost always works for me.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's nice to see such a wealth of useful knowledge come together in a community members moment of need...:D

9. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

Thanks for all the help but sadly... none have worked

I've tried drinking the water upside down, reciting the alphabet backwards and holding my breath.

And I still have hiccups... they started with 5 minutes to go on the bus home. I'm considering the last resort... stand on head and drink the water....

And yes, it was a 15% of salary bonus so it's a good day

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Taking in a deep breath then holding it in for as long as I can works for me too.

11. dcv macrumors G3

Oooh nice one! The drinks are on you then? ;) :D

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm just going to go and cry in the corner, and attempt to get to my *special place*. I may be sometime.

Congrats!

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Why try to stop them? You could always go for the world record of 68 years continuous hiccupping.

And well done for the bonus! :)

14. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

15. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

Well, it's only as good as your salary in the first place. I mean, 15% of £1 is 15p after all... and unlike when I first started working there, we now get taxed on part of it... :(

Good news though... the second time of reading this thread, the BOO helped. No more hiccups! 68 years worth :eek: No thanks!

16. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Hold your breath for 20 seconds. During that time, swallow three times without opening your mouth. The first time is easy, the second one is hard, the third time is darn near impossible, but it always works for me.

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My boo? Delighted to have helped! I'll just take 15% of your 15% as a token of your gratitude... :p

18. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Don't you have a physics degree? :p You know, with the gravity and all? :D I'm joking! Sorry!

19. Lau Guest

I was going suggest one of those scary look-closely-and-something-jumps-up-in-front-of-the-camera pictures, but glad that that's redundant. :) And congratulations on the bonus - so it'll be the Ritz for you now, yes? :p

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The man has a point [​IMG] :p

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I've always tried the water method or holding breath method, too.

I take a deep breath and then take 10 gulps of water without breathing. That usually does it.

The other, but probably not so effective (at least for you to do it to yourself) is to strike up a random conversation with the person with the hiccups. For example, I once had a bad case of hiccups, I complained about it to a friend I was with at the time, all of the sudden she asked me "What did you have for lunch today?" The question caught me off guard, but I answered, and then she proceeded to ask me about it further and made me describe things in detail. I did (all while being very confused). Finally, I confronted her about why she was asking me these ridiculous questions, and she just merely said, "Well, I got rid of your hiccups, didn't I?" Sure enough... she had! It was a good way to get my mind off them so they would just go away.

22. dcv macrumors G3

:eek: umm yeah... obviously I meant for her to go to a zero gravity chamber to perform said task :p

23. mills04 macrumors member

Get a glass of water and a straw, drink through the straw while putting your fingers in your ears. Works everytime.

24. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

dcv I knew exactly what you meant by drinking upside down - forget all these blokey-scientific principles!

I'm taking careful note of all the other suggestions... just in case it happens again. I wonder if the ' talk to another person to distract yourself' is a corollary of trying to say the alphabet backward since you have to think about it slightly. I was trying to count backwards from 100 on the way back along the road from the bus stop... I only got so far as 92 before having to start again

25. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I think the idea of someone else catching you off guard by them striking up a conversation with you is a bit more effective because you're less likely to really think about the fact that you are doing X to get rid of your hiccups. Thus, you are even more distracted than when you say the alphabet backwards or count backwards. The only problem is that the person needs to know beforehand that that's what they need to do otherwise it's less effective if you tell them to do it when you have the hiccups.