How do I get rid of multiple same artist names on iPod display?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by The Red Menace, Oct 5, 2005.

1. The Red Menace macrumors member

Here is my problem. I tried to search on this topic but I could not find what I was looking for. OK, I download some music and have some music from CD's from the same artist in itunes. On my Ipod display the band name will be there 3 times in some cases. I cannot figure out how to get the band name listed only once. I tried moving all tracks into one folder in my music folder but that did not work, sooo, Help please. :confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Select all songs by this artist (hint: use SHIFT to select multiple songs or COMMAND to add an additional single song), Get Info on the Songs (COMMAND-I) and change the artist name to whatever you want. If they are all different, the artist box should be blank for what it's worth.

You can do this with any editable parameter in iTunes - genre, track number, whatever. :)

3. Labi macrumors regular

The iPod doesn't care which folder did the files come from. It only refers to the information which is tagged to the file. Therefore the band's name should be typed identicaly every time in order to have it displayed just once. Even if you type "space" accidentaly at the end or begining of the name, it will recognise it as a character. The best way to do this is to copy paste the name, or even better as mad jew said, do a multiple selection and type the name only once.

4. The Red Menace thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both. :)