How do I get Single User Mode up??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sluthy, Feb 2, 2004.

1. sluthy macrumors regular

Hey, I bought Panther a week ago, and I've been waiting for a new stick of RAM I ordered in before I install it. Anyway, I've been trying to do some of the clean up ideas they had in the recent MacAddict (we get them late - we just got the Jan issue on the 30th, first time in a while we've gotten it within the same calender month), and I cannot get into Single User Mode to run the fsck check. Everywhere says to hold down Command-S (Apple-S I assume) during startup until a CLI prompt comes up, but when I do it just goes straight through to Aqua as normal. I've tried that, I've tries Shift-Apple-S, I've used the keyboard through a hub as well as directly into the Mac, still nothing. What's wrong?

I'm using 10.2.6 on a slot-load iMac with standard keyboard and all.

2. sluthy thread starter macrumors regular

I've been looking and looking and looking and every single site just says to use Command-S and it should work. Well, it's not. Does anyone know of anything that could be wrong?

3. BillClinton macrumors member

Try this:

Go to the apple menu, click restart. As soon as you've done this hold down the apple and s keys. Do this until you see a black screen with writing. You should now be in single user mode. By the way, if you're running Panther you'll need to type in fsck -y -f to get it to run fsck.

4. sluthy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, that's what I've been doing. But that doesn't work. Every time I hold down Apple-S and turn on or restart, nothing happens - just goes straight through to Aqua as per usual. And yes, I am holding them down and not just pressing them:D. I don't know what's going on.

5. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Not sure why it does that... What system do you have?

Also, try this while powering on, not restart:

Command-Option-O-F

Once into Open Firmware, type:

boot -s

You might also try the Command-S while powering on.

6. sluthy thread starter macrumors regular

I've got 10.2.6.

I've tried command-S on powering on AND restart and no luck. I'll give that Open Firmware start a try now.

7. sluthy thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, won't go into OF either.

Looking at the lights on the USB hub on the other port (my keyboard is in the other right now), they don't come on until about 5 seconds after the Apple's come up. I think USB gets turned on too late for the keyboard to do anything. What can I possibly do about that? :confused:

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

I think your timing is off.
    You have to hold down Apple+S when you see a darkish gray screen that comes on RIGHT before you see the light gray screen with the Apple logo.
    and for future reference, you can just do "fsck -yf" instead of "fsck -y -f". Hehe. Its a waste of time to type the extra space and the extra -. :)

9. sluthy thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have to PRESS it on the grey screen, or can you be PRESSING it when it comes on? Mostly I've been holding it down before I press the power button to be sure.

10. maidus macrumors newbie

LapCop or something like that

Hey, I've never been able to get into single user mode and I think I found the problem - LapCop. LapCop is service that runs in the background that can report where your laptop is if it is stolen. Lapcop is one of many programs that can set a Firmware Password on you. Simply put, I put my Install Disk in and ran the Firmware Password Reset Utility and set it to none. Restarted my machine into Firmware Mode: Command + Option + O + F and I was able to execute commands as if in single user mode. After I restarted again, I held down Command+S and it went right into Single User Mode. Hope this helps.