How do I get to use Font Book fonts in TextEdit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dartagnat, Feb 23, 2007.

1. dartagnat macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am using TextEdit on os x 10.4.8 and need some greek symbols like Alpha for use in mathematical formulae/expressions. The Symbol font in TextEdit does not give me a greek Alpha. Font Book does. So how do I get the Alpha character out of Font Book and into my TextEdit document? I know I could use Character Palette but the fonts are not as nice as the one I see in Font Book.

:) :confused: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :(
    HELP!!!!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If the Symbol font is active in Font Book (and it should be), then Character Palette should be able to do the job. Make sure that you open up the Font Variation arrow near the bottom of the Character Palette window, and pick "Containing selected character" from the little Collection menu down there.

The Symbol Regular rendition of the character will appear in the list, click on it and press the Insert with Font button at the bottom right.

Or, you can type the alpha with any old font, select it, press apple-T in TextEdit to bring up the font inspector, and set it to use the Symbol font.

3. dartagnat thread starter macrumors newbie

iMeowbot hi
    thanks for your reply. sorry to take so long to get back even though i did as you said soon after you posted. So i've been working with the character palette next to me these last few days.

But if one can't install the font of choice into one's program what is the Font Book used for? The mac website entry
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/fontbook/
    talks about giving me <quote>complete, interactive control of your fonts, letting you enable and disable fonts — individually or in groups — to customize which fonts you see in an application<end quote>but the reality seems pedestrian at best.

Anyway. Thanks again for your reply. I just wish there was a straightforward way of being able to iclude math, greek and logical symbols inside one's text without having to be forever switching between aps and copying pasting, changing size of characters over and over...

best wishes
    dArtagnat

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Font Book is really there so that individual fonts can be installed, checked, activated and deactivated systemwide. It's not made for dealing with individual applications, the apps do that.

You don't actually need to use Character Palette for this. If you want to use lots of Greek letters, you can turn on the Greek Polytonic input method in the International section of system Preferences. You can peek at the Keyboard Viewer to see what this does.

To make switching input methods easier, you can set up a hot key to switch them in the Keyboard shortcuts pane of the Keyboard & Mouse system prefs (look for the Input Menu section). Unfortunately, the brilliant human interface people at Apple decided to assign the exact same keystrokes to this as they later assigned to Spotlight, so you will need to think up new keystrokes for one or the other.