Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
i have my laptop hooked up to my tv so i can watch a movie on the tv through vlc. if i click fit to screen mode it works fine on the tv but if i click fullscreen it dissapears from the tv and only shows the fullscreen movie on my laptop. how do i watch a movie in fullscreen mode on the tv through vlc on my computer?

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
i did that already. i connected it to the tv, dragged the controller window to the right of the laptop screen untill i see it on the tv. then when i hit fullscreen mode it dissapears from the tv and goes back on the laptop to fullscreen.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
There's a menu option to select the video device (I think it's Video -> Device). Pick the TV then go full screen. You can leave the controller on the laptop.

B

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
balamw, nothing says device under video and i cant find anything that says tv anywhere. and apple f doesn't work. this is what i see.

i tried clicking fullscreen video output but all that does is start up the laptop automaticly in fullscreen.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
oooooo, now i understand what you were talking about. it wont let me select video device. its in grey.

i can only get it like this on the tv

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Weird, seems like VLC doesn't recognize your TV as a valid video device. What does the Displays part of System Preferences look like?

B

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
look at the pictures right above my last post. i think thats what you talking about

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006

these are the options in display. i cant figure out what to do. thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Weird, the middle picture definitely shows that the Mac thinks you have two displays and you're not mirroring between them.

There should be a similar window on your TV. Can you post a screenshot similar to the first one for that.

BTW. You might want to crop those images a bit so we don't have to see your choice of content. :eek: :eek: :D :p

B

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
i dont understand what you want me to show you a picture of next?

expergo

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2004
I think I had this problem with my ibook. The "video device" would be grayed out sometimes. I forgot how I fixed it though.

I'll check it out later when I get my ibook back. I think it had something to do with how I selected the movie.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Could it be that you're staring VLC before you connect the TV?

(i.e. by the time VLC looks for video devices, there's only one?)

B

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
thats not it because i quit vlc and tried it again. i can get the tv to fullscreen with mplayer but not vlc.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
In the Displays preference pane, you need to drag the menubar to the TV screen, under the Arrangement tab. I think VLC only allows you to go completely full-screen on the main screen, which is whatever one has the menubar. Kind of annoying. ;)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I think VLC only allows you to go completely full-screen on the main screen, which is whatever one has the menubar.
That's not how it works for me on 0.8.5 I can select the TV as the video device in VLC, leave the VLC controls and menubar on the iMac's screen and go full screen. Even QT allows you to select the display for full screen. Only Front Row will only use the primary (menubar) display.

jayd, VLC was updated today, have you checked if the new version makes a difference?

B

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
i figured out how to do it. i went to arrangements and clicked mirror display and the tv just matches whats on the computer screen. i just have to uncheck the box when im done watching the movie. thank you guys so much for taking the time to help me. i love this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.