How Do I Go About Opening .exe files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thechris69, Dec 2, 2006.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Title is basically the thread, I have a few .exe files I need to open, and it asks me what application I should use to open the files, what application should I use?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well .exe files are windows executables. so either have windowes on your machine or you cant do it. Also there is a company working on doing it within osx but I am not sure how compatible they are yet. (Im thinking Vmware but I could be wrong)

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yep no way to execute a Windows exe file in Mac OS X unless you use Parallels and have Windows XP SP2 running in it.

4. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i open some .exe files (particular a game from my childhood, Colonization) on my mac through a dos simulator. I use DosBox.

If your .exe file is really old, you could try that!

5. adiosk8 macrumors regular

nope, you can download crossover for mac and you can run .exe programs and install them. or you could install bootcamp and load XP that way too, you dont need parallels

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

crossover fails most of the *.exe files, very premature.

well, OP, is it possible to ask you what kind of file are those? program? self-extract compressed files?

7. ddekker macrumors regular

what programs or .exe files are they? maybe some of us could direct you to a replacement of the same on the mac, lord knows I have spent my fair share of time looking for software that does the same as my PC

DD

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW most self-extracting archives can be opened by the non-self extracting archives can be opened by their regular non-selfextracting counterparts...

(e.g. if you find a self extracting zip, just rename it to zip and move on...)

B