How do I go about selling a Windows XP Upgrade CD.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Feb 22, 2007.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I know I should probably post this under a pseudonym to save my blushes, but... :eek:

Now, if I was selling a copy of OS X then it'd be easy, I'd just sell it. :D But This Windows XP lark has this activation crap that I'm thinking could potentially cause problems.

Brief outline. A client gave me a PC in 2005 to carry out cross-platform development work on a project, now the PC has long since died, and I'm left with the Window's XP Upgrade disc, as well as most of the packaging... including the the 'Product Key', and the 'Certificate of Authenticity' from the box itself.

Now, as far as I'm aware, my client has new PC's, with new versions of Window's on them, I now own this copy of XP, though it's no longer in use on any machines.

So...
    Can I sell this?
    Can the buyer just use the existing 'Product Key' or will that cause problems?
    Or do Microsoft issue another 'Product Key' to the buyer, because they'll now own the copy of XP and have both a 'Product Key' and 'Certificate of Authenticity' to prove it?

Any idea's? :)

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If it's an OEM license it can't be sold. If it was originally a boxed license, yes it can be resold.

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Cheers for that. :)

It's a boxed Upgrade for Winodws XP Home, like this one, not an OEM disc.

So... do you know if the existing 'Product Activation' code will continue to work for the new buyer, or will Microsoft just issue a new one?