how do i hide files and folders?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thahater, Mar 1, 2006.

1. thahater macrumors member

thahater

In winpx i can hide files and folders.how can i do that on my mac?i running 10.2.8.thanks

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hide from view, access or both?

Edit: There are some 3rd party apps out there, if you're unfamiliar with Disk Utility and/or Terminal...

(I would just have made an encrypted sparsimage with Disk Utility, and renamed it in Terminal (i.e. put an . first in the name of the sparseimage) and changed permissions to 700 or similar, and opened it with Terminal when I wanted to access the contents... ;))

3. thahater thread starter macrumors member

thahater

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Then a good way, if you didn't like the 3rd party apps, is to use Disk Utility/Terminal like I lined out above:

1. Open Disk Utility and make an encrypted sparseimage from File -> New > Blank Disk Image
    - Name it (Save As:) to something like MyHiddenFolder (best place is in your Home folder ~/)
    - Set Size to whatever you need
    - Set Encryprion to AES-128
    - Set Format to sparse disk image
    - Press Create

2. Use Terminal.app to rename it:
    - make sure you are in the correct directory (Terminal should open in your Home folder ~/)
    - use the command mv MyHiddenFolder.sparseimage .MyHiddenFolder.sparseimage to rename it.
    - use the command chmod 600 .MyHiddenFolder.sparseimage to add security

3. Use Terminal.app to access it:
    - Use the command open .MyHiddenFolder.sparseimage to mount the disk image on your desktop
    - When you're done and want to hide it again just eject the disk image (drag the disk icon to Trash (which should change into an Eject icon) or mark it and press cmd-E)

Tip: You can auto-complete commands in Terminal, so if you type open .My and press tab it should auto-complete the command and let you press enter... :)

5. thahater thread starter macrumors member

thahater