How Do I Hide The Firefox Disk Img. On Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iHacker, Jun 16, 2005.

1. iHacker macrumors member

I downloaded Firefox but now it has the Firefox drive on my desktop. How do I get rid of it?

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

When you mount the disk image, you can drag the application to your Applications folder. Then, you don't need the dmg anymore, so after unmounting it, you can just put it in the trash.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The Firefox 'drive' is a disk image that's containing the application - a little like a zipped folder. You need to remove the application from it and then you can safely delete the image.

Mount the disk image that says Firefox. When it's mounted, you'll see a little eject symbol next to it in the upper sidebar in Finder.

Drag the Firefox application - the logo icon - to your Applications folder. Eject the disk image by clicking the eject symbol in the Finder. Drag the disk image to the trash.

4. TheT macrumors 6502

Dude, you should have picked another nickname, seriously.

To answer your question:
    Copy the "Firefox.app" to you "Applications" folder (simply drag'n'drop), then drag the drive to the trash (an eject symbol will appear). Or click on the eject symbol next to the drive icon in your Finder window. Voilà, now you can even delete the Firefox.dmg image!

5. TheT macrumors 6502

Wow, that's what you get for typing slow... and I thought 2 minutes was not that slow after all... oh well... :)

6. Raggy macrumors newbie

Wonder if anyone can help? I'm trying to do this, but it keeps saying 'the disc 'Firefox couldn't be ejected because 'Firefox' is using it. Quit the application and try again'

I dont even have firefox open. Just this annoying disc symbol with 'Firefox' under it on the desktop :(

7. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

Try restarting your computer and then drag the image to the trash. Make sure that FireFox isn't set to start automatically when you login.

s.

8. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Make sure you have dragged the Firefox logo from the disk symbol, then check you have quit Firefox, not just closed it. If the icon in your dock has a little light under it, it's still open. Click on it, go to Firefox in the top left and then select quit and try again.

If that's not the problem, then it's probably something else. Maybe go for a little restart?

And well searched by the way, this thread is 5 years old.

9. Raggy macrumors newbie

Thanks so much guys. This worked. It did just need a re-start. I'm still just getting to grips with my brand new MacBook Pro (which I LOVE!!) :)

10. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Good point. If you're new to OSX you could easily think an open application is closed.

s.

11. Mig-84 macrumors newbie

LMAO !!!! This seriously made my day...Thanks. :p:apple:

12. aline26 macrumors newbie

Bump...

I did this as well and it worked... until I had to open Firefox again and it reappeared. I tried restarting the computer after I ejected and it made no difference. I am a Mac newb so any information would be helpful.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

you probably dragged the dmg to the applications folder instead of the application itself.

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

See post #2