Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corry20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
My DVD player broke and I want to use my computer as my dvd player.I want to hook it into my tv and play DVDS from my computer onto the tv.It's a Samsung LCD tv.How do I do this?

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
That's one way to connect your Macbook pro to your tv. The Macbook Pro has a DVI output on the right side....looks like a rectangle. You need to buy a DVI-RCA cable... or a DVI-DVI if your LCD has the same port. You can check the back of the LCD if it has that kind of port. If your LCD has HDMI, you can use DVI-HDMI. There are numerous connection possibilities, it just depends on what you have available on that LCD. DVI is versatile in that there are many cables out there you can connect with since they many various DVI cables. Again, here they are:

Macbook Pro LCD
DVI to VGA - You'll need an adapter
DVI to Composite - Higher quality of pictures
DVI to HDMI - Higher quality of pictures
DVI to RCA - Good quality of pictures

Anyone of the following above, you can find a cable for. The only type of connection that would need another part to would be the DVI-VGA. The rest you can find a specific cable for it in Radio Shack or Best Buy.

kch

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
some samsung LCD HDTVs (like mine) don't do 1:1 resolution ratios through HDMI. what i've done is gotten a DVI -> vga adapter that works well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.