How do I import contacts from Iphone to the computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trappattack, Nov 10, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2010
    I just upgrade to Snow Leopard and I had all my contacts on my iPhone4.
    When I sync my iPhone, doesn't import contacts to iTunes.
    How can I do it step by step?
  2. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Jun 16, 2009
    Champaign/Urbana Illinois
    I'll try to help.

If I understand your question correctly, you upgraded your Mac Computer to Snow Leopard and you are now trying to download your contacts to your Mac computer, correct?

First this should have happened automatically. However, if iTunes is not set up correctly this may not happen.

What I would do is the following.

1. Connect your iPhone to your computer.

2 Open iTunes by clicking on its icon.

3. In the gray column on the left of the iTunes screen about half way down the list you should see DEVICES and under it should be your iPhone. Click on it.

4. This will open the iPhone set up page on the right screen. You will see names across the tool bar at the top just under the Apple Logo. They are Summary, Info, Apps, Ringtones, all the way across to Nike + iPod.

5. Click on Info which will open a group of menus. The first is Sync Address Book Contacts. In this menu ensure that the first button "All Contacts" is turned on. A black dot in it shows that it is on.

6. Now click on the SYNC button in the lower right corner and it should sync your contacts.

I should WARN you. If you get a question as to whether or not you want to Merge your contacts, Choose Merge! If not you may wind up with two or more records of every contact.

I hope this works for you.
  3. macrumors member

Oct 13, 2010
    I thought syncing only worked one way? I.e. From Mac/PC to the iPhone?
    So wouldn't doing this erase his contacts?
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2010
    Wherever the army needs me.
    Syncing works both ways, just did it on my new macbook tonight.
  5. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Jun 16, 2009
    Champaign/Urbana Illinois
    I believe that syncing works both ways.

However, I have had the occasion when I was asked if I wanted to go ahead because a given action would remove data from a source, and was given a choice. Then you just say no and you're no worse off than before.

Again as Neolithium just pointed out there should be no problem.

The problem I mentioned about possibly winding up with two or more copies of each contact would occur only if you were also syncing with MobileMe.
  6. NicoKars, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2014
  7. macrumors 68000

Mar 13, 2006
    why in gods name is there not an export data from ios device option?

i had the hardest time not so long ago to get calendar dates from an ipod touch.

contacts, calendar events, texts, notes etc its nonsense
  8. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    i used a 3rd party app on my uncles iphone recently. hes very old fashioned, doesnt understand the cloud and wanted all his contacts in a excel list
  9. macrumors 68000

Mar 13, 2006
    some of those 3rd party apps are great. i tried quite a few of them and setting up syncing to icloud and google but they always erased the previous data.

if i recall correctly then exporting calendar events did not work so well with the 3rd party apps.

10 years ago nokia had better options to export data from the phones than apple provides today.
  10. macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2014