Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CameraTester

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
Hi. I have a 2009 Macbook Pro, 5,5, 2.26ghz intel core 2 duo, 8gb of ram, a solid state drive (with system files and apps) and a 750gb 7200rpm (in a hard drive caddy in the old place of the dvd drive holding my user home folder)

It's not as fast as I would like it to be, and as I need it to be. I was thinking of overclocking it but that seems out of the question. I know since it has a solid state and a faster hard drive it should be a lot faster, but it's still not that fast.

I know there might not be anything I can do, but I just would like to know my options.

I thought about since I have a solid state drive, I could see if there is a way to give a section of the hard drive to act as ram somehow? Is there a way to do that?

And what else can I do to make it faster? Ram is maxed at 8gb.

Thanks for any help! :)

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Simple answer: buy a new Mac.

If you're poor and can't afford a new one; follow the advice from others in thread that differs from mine.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I thought about since I have a solid state drive, I could see if there is a way to give a section of the hard drive to act as ram somehow? Is there a way to do that?

The OS does this automatically, it's called a swap file or virtual memory.

Have you thought about installing a newer SSD? That might help.

How about your RAM, what speed is it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.