How do I install an Airport Extreme Card into my Macbook Pro 17 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spineoft33th, Dec 19, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

There wasn't one installed when I bought my Macbook Pro so I had to buy one seperately and I'm just wondering how to install it?

2. macrumors 603

gr8tfly

All MacBook Pro's have built-in AirPort Extreme cards. Was the original defective and removed? :confused:

If it's just the part, you can find a repair guide at http://www.ifixit.com/.

Otherwise - :confused:

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

All I know is that I can't get any wireless connection. I can only get a connection through ethernet. It says "Airport Card Not Installed" when I click on the connection thing on the upper right hand corner of my screen. So I bought a new card and now I don't know how to install it.

4. macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Follow the ifixit guide, but I believe you will need to remove the battery, screws on the bottom and sides, and ultimately remove the topcase. There should be a slot and wire connection for the card. Again, follow the ifixit guide, it will tell you which screws, etc.

5. macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It's odd because again every Mac Book Pro ever made had an airport card.

6. macrumors 603

gr8tfly

As jackiecanev2 posted, use the iFixit guide. They're very well done. Just take it one step at a time, keep track of what screws go where, and you should be ok.

Just curious: did you try any other troubleshooting steps before ordering the card such, as resetting the SMC? Was this a known failure when you bought the Mac? It's just an odd situation, since none of the MBPs were ever shipped without the card.