How do I install Diablo 2 onto macosx?

Discussion in 'Games' started by WillMak, Sep 13, 2005.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I have Diablo version 1.0 that I bought many many years ago. I just realised that it's mac compatible as well so I've been trying to install it on my new ibook. However, I can't get it to install. I downloaded this: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/demos_updates/diabloii.html
    the native osx installer but I get errors during the installation ( The file "/Volumes/Diablo II Install/Support/Diablo II Game Data" could not be read, because an error -36 occurred. (InstallerFile::Read)
    ). Anyone have any solutions?

2. reh macrumors 6502a

You can't use that file.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Do a Goooogle search for Blizzard (or Diablo 2) and find the Blizzard site, then look for the OSX installer for the version of the game you have.

I have D2 Lord of destruction expansion running fine under 10.4.2 currently.

4. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

If you are correct in saying that you have Diablo version 1.0, then the Diablo II carbon installer won't work for you since it is for Diablo II.

The original Diablo will only run under classic mode and I am not 100% certain it will evn install there. Diablo II will install in OSX but you need to download the OSX Installer (which it appears you already have). Once you have the installer, run it. It will tell you which disks to insert after you have told it what you want to install.

5. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

it's just a typo, I have version 1.0 diablo II retail.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Another possible solution - install in Classic, then download the OS X native application and copy it all out of Classic.

7. JonathanW macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem as WillMak, and I shouldn't even have to touch classic if I download the Mac OS X native installer. My friend used the installer on his new ibook, and it works fine. This is the third thread I have found on the internet with the same exact problem (error-36). Has anyone found a way to get around it or have any good suggestions. The error occurs for me while the Play Disc is installing and when the progress bar says something along the lines of "Play Disc: Installing Music"
    Thanks

8. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

find a different play disk.. same ting happen to me but a diffferent version of the play disk worked,, i dont know why... it seems like there are different versions of the play disk and some will install and some wont.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've had no problems with the OS X installer, but my Diablo II disc is version 1.04 or something like that; certainly later than 1.0.

It's times like these that I'm glad I have a dual-boot capable Mac, but in your case I'm not sure what to do - perhaps look for a used Diablo II disc at a used video game store?

10. louis_sx macrumors regular

Diablo II's 1.0 disc was NOT hybrid. I had to re-buy the game when I wanted to play it on my Mac instead of my PC because I bought it very early on and it was PC-only.

11. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Ok, so post-1.0 Diablo 2 discs are hybryd but I need to get an installer? I once tried my old Diablo 2 discs on my Powerbook but I didn't see anything Mac-like so I assumed it was the older version, but maybe it isn't...:eek:

12. louis_sx macrumors regular

Even if you go out and buy Diablo II today you will not get the OS X Carbon version of DII, just the classc app version. The installer will prompt you for the discs to get the data, but the installer contains the app itself, for both with and without the Lord of Destruction expansion.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Intersting point. To the OP: is there anything on your discs that specifically says that it is Mac compatible? Maybe you need a later version of the game.

Anyway, Diablo II is pretty easy to find used nowadays for cheap - I see it all the time at Half Price Books for around $10. you might have to buy it again to get a hybrid disc.

14. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i know the newest battle chest works. a friend bought it and it had the osx installer on it. but i know nothing about the single packs.