How do I Install OS 9 on an OS X drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cr2sh, Aug 15, 2002.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Anyone know a better way of installing 9.2 on a harddrive that already houses osX without having to reformat and partition the whole thing?
    When I installed 10 a few days ago on this new drive I thought it said I could install 9 after the fact, but right now I ant seem to figure out how to do it... any suggestions? thanks!
    -c

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Did you try the easy ways first?

A: Reboot the Mac and holding down "c" with the OS 9 CD inserted
    B: Inserting the CD and changing the startup disk (under System Prefs in OS X) to the OS 9 install CD and restarting the Mac

3. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

yeh, but alas.. it will only let me do a "clean install" which i assume includes a format and partition.. or am i wrong?

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

That's where you are wrong, crash. :)

A clean install simply creates a separate System Folder for OS 9 to use and leaves the OS X System Folder alone. To confirm that go through the steps in your installation and make sure it says this. It shouldn't say anything about reformatting the Hard Drive or erasing anything.

Try it. It should work fine. :cool:

5. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

youre the man

it would have been better to wipe it out anyways and partition seperately.. we'll see though. thanks for the help!

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I noticed you are using the Cube. (Smart man. :)) I have the half GHz version with both OS X and OS 9 on just one partition and have had no major problems with going back and forth between the OS's. Then, again, what do you expect from OS 9 these days? :p

What do you need OS 9 for?

7. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

actually..
    i booted into the software install cube disc... it turns out..
    it says i dont have a mountable disk, and i have to go into disk utility to initialize the 60gig... when doing this i know i'll lose all my information on 10...
    but this is the only way i can see to be able to mopunt and put 9 on..
    got any other ideas?

i need 9 to run MOTU's AudioDesk, along with photoshop 6 (i have yet to find a copy of 7)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Wouldn't it replace the Users folder? That certainly would be an issue. Remember that in Mac OS 9, you don't have an explicitly-named default user.

9. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

haha.. i have a cube too! :D :rolleyes:

10. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Do you remember how you formatted the HD when you did an install of OSX? If you decided to format the drive as a UFS volume, you are out of luck. It needs to be HFS or HFS+ to install OS9.

Do a Get Info in OSX on your HD, if it says UFS, you will have to reformat.

11. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

12. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

I'm not with my cube now, but my cube runs both X and 9 on the same partition without any errors... Im not sure what theyre called, but the names are changed...