How Do I install OS9? Emergency

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mileslong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

my daughter is now in college and is taking a spanish class. the professor gave the students a disk that requires OS9 and wont work on OSX. i bought her this mac last year and it doesnt have the nitel chip. can she install OS9 on a partitioned drive on her powerbook 13"?

thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There's no such thing as a 13" PowerBook.

Care to elaborate on what machine it is?

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

There is no such thing as a 13" PowerBook. If you mean 15" PowerBook, the discs that originally came with your computer will let you install OS 9 classic mode, which means whenever you run that program, OS 9 will start in the background.

Your computer still boots into OS X and operates as normally.

EDIT: Here is some information on that: Wikipedia: Mac OS 9 & Classic Mode

4. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

im sorry it was the 12" powerbook. does the same thing still apply? she can just download the OS9 without having to partition or anything? it will automatically boot into OSX as well? thanks

5. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Has your daughter tried popping the software in and running the installer from OS X? Her PPC notebook probably has an OS 9 system folder already installed, and will launch a "Classic" mode within OS X to run the program.

What's the software, by the way?

6. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

i will ask her if she has already tried that, i dont think her laptop has OS9 already on it however.

she is a student at UC Davis and this is some sort of proprietary software that the Spanish department there put together some years ago. i cant believe they havent upgraded it!

7. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

It's not something that's overtly visible if she's never had to use it before, but unless it was specifically uninstalled, there's a good chance Classic mode will do the trick. Just tell her to try starting the program up and see what happens.

8. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong