How do I install OSX Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rebelinpa, Apr 30, 2006.

1. rebelinpa macrumors newbie

Ok, I have a G4, 350 Mghz, 80 gig HD and a gig of Ram and am currently running OSX 10.3.9. I just purchased the DVD version of OSX 10.4.I place the DVD in my player and it shows up on my desktop and tells me to restart my computer to install it. But everytime I do this, it reboots to my start up disk. I even hold down the "C" button while doing this. Am I just stupid or am I doing something wrong? Please help - ANYONE!

2. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

It's very difficult to tell without more information. Do you have any IQ results. When you eat breakfast do you try to put the cereal in your ear? I would say that you probably are not stupid though.

Isn't there a file called install that you need to click on?

3. blackstone macrumors regular

Maybe try holding down the Option key while starting up? That should give you a list of different boot devices to start up from.

4. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Are you using the original internal slot-loading dvd-rom? If you aren't, the drive may not be bootable.

5. rebelinpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I do click on the install button on the Tiger DVD. No it isn't a slot loading DVD tray. I couldn't tell you if it is original or not as this is the way it came when I purchased the computer. I will try holding down the option key when rebooting and see if that helps. Thank you

6. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Then you have a tray-loading mac. These do not have a firewire port and are not officially supporte for 10.3 and 10.4. You will need XPostFacto to run tiger on this computer. I have personally never used this utility. Check the link. Maybe some others here can give you some better advice.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Does your computer have a DVD drive?

Just read it shows up so nevermind lol

8. rebelinpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this does have a fire wire port. It is the grey G4 model Sawtooth

9. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

My bad! I incorrectly assumed you were talking about an iMac. Try letting the tiger dvd mount on your desktop then opening the startup disk preferece in System Prefereces. Once there, you should be able to see and select the tiger dvd. Select and restart.

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I put Tiger on a 400MHZ sawtooth a couple off weeks ago - DVD-ROM drive etc. It should work fine for you.

Try the system preferences method as above. Also, if you're restarting from the DVD prompt screen, you shouldn't need to press C. It should boot from the DVD without doing this.

Another option if you've got another Mac handy is to target disc the Sawtooth and install Tiger via Firewire.

11. rebelinpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for all the help. I tried everything that you all have suggested and still nothing works!. I have obtained a DVD drive from one of the puters at work and am going to see if the DVD drive I have in my G4 is an after market one. If so, I will swap out DVD drives to install it and then return it back to work. Keep your fingers crossed - I'm going in!

12. rebelinpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I put in a different DVD drive - a mac one and it worked and let me start up my computer from the OX 10.4 disk. Now when I go to load 10.4 it tells me that it cannot install on this computer. I think thisa is just way too much work for a system upgrade. I am going to call apple and tell them to keep Tiger and give me my money back!

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that's a familiar error message....

where did you buy this copy? is it a new full retail version that you got directly from Apple? if you didn't buy directly from Apple was it bought it online? ebay? some 3rd party reseller? or a friend?

unfortunately it's possible to buy a disk thinking you're getting a new retail version when you're actually getting something else. There are "upgrade" versions floating around which wouldnt work for you because it would require you to have an earlier version of OS 10.4 installed and you only have 10.3.9. Also, there are disks for sale out there that are actually versions that were shipped bundled with a computer and these disks wont install on all computers, just the model they shipped with.

I ask because that "...cant be installed on this computer" message is the sort of message you would get with either of these types of disks

14. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah it's likely this is a system-specific upgrade or restore disc that doesn't have a universal installer on it. If so it simply won't install.