How do I install Xubuntu onto my iMac G3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by piekwandoe, Nov 1, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2011
    So once upon a time i raged at my iMac G3 because it was being stupid and slow. Long story short i ended up deleting my "Finder" and a whole bunch of other system files. Can't remember exactly what ones, though. So I took to the internet on my PC the next day, downloaded Xubuntu for PowerPC, put it on a DVD-ROM, and inserted it into my iMac. The only thing that shows up on my screen when I attempt to boot up is a what looks like a .gif of a folder and on the folder is a flashing question mark and the little mac symbol of the face that looks like another face xD. Any help here would be appreciated.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2005
    Mooresville, NC
    Put in the DVD, hold C as it boots. If that fails, hold the option key and it should pop up a list of boot options & let you choose to boot from the DVD.
  3. macrumors 603

Apr 15, 2004
  4. macrumors 6502

Dec 18, 2010

MintPPC. Linux Mint LXDE ontop of a Debian installation. Very fast and responsive, even on older G3 imacs thanks to the LXDE environment. Active forum, helpful moderators (I know, seriously), great apps like minitube, Iceweaseal 7 and VLC, lots of other apps. No flash, but no Linux PPC flash anyways.
  5. macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2010
    I'll second MintPPC. Xubuntu's support on PowerPC is unofficial and not the greatest. Plus, any Debian-based brand is going to be faster than an Ubuntu-based brand.