how do i.... (keep my powerbook running like new)?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wano, May 3, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    Is there anything I can do to keep my powerbook running like new. I am a switcher and I remeber in windows there was a thing called 'system maintainance' there anything like that for OSX?

2. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2002
    Portland, Maine
    Look on Versiontracker for an application called Cocktail. It's great. Use the "Pilot" function to do routine maintenance tasks.

That said, Mac OS X needs considerably less maintenance than any version of Windows.
  3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

There are some things you could do in OS X for "System Maintenance". However, in OS X it's probably more accurate to call it "Preventative Maintenance"

One thing about OS X is that it won't suffer from clog-down - that pesky habit of Windows getting slower, and slower, and slower as the registry fragments, and .tmp files build up (theres more to this, but I don't wish to digress further).

So, you really shouldn't see much performance degradation in OS X even without "System Maintenance", but it's still a good idea to do once and a while.

One good package: DiskWarrior 3. Coming soon.
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    If you leave your computer awake (not just on, but awake) at night, it performs automated maintenance. A daily, weekly and monthly set. You can then take advantage of all that unused processor time by running Folding all night :)