How Do I Know If I'm Getting Old?

Discussion in 'Community' started by thedude110, Jun 17, 2005.

1. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

So, I sneeze a lot.

I've always sneezed a lot. And this was never really a problem until a couple of weeks ago when I sneezed and I got this awful, separating sensation beneath my left shoulder blade. Now I get that sensation every time I sneeze. And even worse -- I was loading a monitor (one of those honking, blue/gray Apple CRTs) into my car this morning, and I could feel that same pain beneath my shoulder blade!

I haven't done anything to injure the shoulder. I don't even sleep on my left side.

I'm 28 and my hairline is receding. This I can accept.

But this random ... pain. Am I getting old? Are more parts of me going to randomly start hurting at random times?

I need a mentor to teach me how to age!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Advil :D

Yep, it only gets worse.

As for you sneezing and shoulder issue, you might have pulled something. It happens. But 28 is nothing - I'd love to be 28 again.

D

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Receding hairline, phantom pains...yup, you are getting old, friend. :)

4. Badradio macrumors 6502

Do you have any thoughts on what to do for a midlife crisis? Sports car? Affair?

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yes, you're getting old, we all are, watch the clock, that's how old your getting.

You've probably pulled a muscle under the shoulder blade, it'll get better.

Approaching 30 isn't too bad, but you need to stay active in mind and body.

I took up Aikido at 33, I'm 41 now, a black belt and I teach, I get hurt sometimes sure, and it takes a little longer to recover than it did at 20, but being fit to start with helps a lot.

No need to buy a Zimmer frame just yet.

BTW I'm balding to, have been since my 30's, I just crop it right back and look menacing.

Getting old isn't to be feared, but it does need preparation:

Watch your weight.
    Keep fit (or get fit, old, fat and unfit is NO fun)
    Mind your drinking/drugs (not stop, just be a bit more circumspect)
    Wear appropriate clothing (you'll look like a twat in a hoody)

that last one may be a joke.... :D

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

For me, it was when I could no longer keep the towel hanging.

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Hehe. The pain will come and go, but IMHO aging is in your mind. You're as old as you feel mentally not physically. Losing your hair - cut it short. Feeling pain, as Mr. Anderson mentioned - Advil. The most important thing is to have fun. Don't dwell on aging. Enjoy each day as if it were a gift. You're only 28, but the other day I heard that 40 is the new 30. Not because people are aging better, but because they're acting younger - longer ;)

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

When I was young, while making love to my wife, I would think about baseball to make myself last longer. Now that I'm old, I just think about baseball. :D

Yes, you're getting old. Keep exercising to stay in shape. I made the mistake of stopping, and now I have to restart, because I put on so much weight.

Spend time with your family. If you're getting older, then they're getting older. Yes, it's obvious, but think about it a minute.

Good luck

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Your user name includes "dude," which in my opinion either makes you not old, or means you really don't want to appear old :p

But seriously, 28 is nothing. I'm 36 now, and although not as fit as I was when I was 23, when I had all the time in the world to work out, I'm in at least as good a shape as when I was 28. It just takes more effort - I run as much as practical, and still hit the weights.

I'd like to get into something like Aikido, as WinterMute did, but with two young kids I don't think it will work.

The key, as others have mentioned, is to keep at it. Being old is no big deal. My dad taught Karate until he was in his 50's, and still is in pretty good shape. A guy I work with has run 2 marathons this year, and he's almost 50. So a little shoulder pain, etc., is nothing to worry about.

And as far as the whole sneezing thing, remember that Sammy Sosa threw out his back last year from a sneeze...

10. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Hopefully you don't look like the guy in your 'tar ;)

11. efoto macrumors 68030

Still can't stop laughing, that is just too funny.

If it is any consolation, I JUST turned 21 and I already have a receding hairline in the front, that wonderfully glossy bald-spot in the back where the cowlick should be, and a few knee problems (although those are more sports related than age). Getting 'old' isn't physical, it is almost completely mental. Sure there are things you won't be able to do physically but BEING old is a mental issue.

I feel older than I am because mentally I am older than I physically am. The beauty of my arrangment is I feel 28 but have the body (sadly not hair) of the 21 year old frame that carries me around (speaking as a brain of course :p). I still remain young in many and most all topics of life, but mentally I feel older.....reverse this to mentally feel younger and you are the same as me, just with a slightly more aged physical transport. A great thing, if you don't already, is cycling. I have been on a mountainbike race team for years, awesome workout and tons of fun. It is easier on your body than running (no impact on the joints in your legs and cyclic motion is proven to be healthy and aid in repair of joints).

Okay, I'll stop because I don't want anyone to say "WTF is this 21 year old lecturing us on being old for?" :p Good luck, I'll join you soon.

12. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I am 30. While I hate getting older physically, I actually quite enjoy getting older mentally. By which I mean, the broader perspective and wider concepts you get...

13. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, as has been said, taking care of yourself is a great idea. And it should be something that you keep mindful of in everything you do (as far as exercise, diet and the like).

But there is something that I think is almost as important... mental attitude.

I, personally, don't feel any older than I did 10 or 15 years ago. I'm still waiting for the day that I become an adult.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you really don't start living your own life until you're 18 (or in some cases 21). When you start making all your life decisions (sort of "working without a net" as it were) and it is really your life.

Now, my grandfather lived to be 78 years old. So I think I can expect to make it to at least that age. Which means I will have 60 years of my own life. Of those 60 years I've enjoyed 19 (I'm 37 now), so I still have about 41 years left.

Of course, when I think of all the things I've done in the last 19 years and realize I have the potential to do twice as much in the time I have remaining... any worries about my age fade away.

:rolleyes:

And I could be completely wrong about my estimates, I could live to be closer to 100 (I've had many family members do it), in which case I could almost triple what I've already done in my life in the time I have left.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well it still hangs for me, just not as long as it used to!

15. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

What do you mean 'am I getting old'

you are old!

If it wasn't for good food and medicine and our ability to kill off anything that might eat us - you'd probably be pushing up daisys by now.

Start worrying when you reach thirty - cus forty is just around the corner.

trust me I know.

Then you hit forty - well you just stop caring about it.

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

When I look in the mirror each day, I look the same as when I was 5. But somewhere along the way, I've gotten old.

17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Speak for yourself mate, I'm 41 and I intend to be here forever. :D

My daughters 8, and I want to be able to get the best out of her childhood that I can, and that means biking, swimming, camping and a hell of a lot of arsing about, I don't want to be a dad who doesn't get involved, I had one of those it's no fun.

My Sensei is 55, the Senior instructor is 65 and either one of them could (and does) chuck me about like I'm a kid, keeping fit and caring is essential.

Come to think of it, there's your definition of getting old, when you stop caring about it then you're old.

18. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Indeed, the worse for me physically is when I play basketball and my brain tells me to jump for the rebound so I try to jump and nothing happens I just stay on the ground. Also, when some young kid does a crossover and goes for a layup, I think "Damn, I use to be able to do that..."

19. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Getting older does have its advantages. As was mentioned before, the mind is a bit "clearer" (not sure if thats the best word) and you seem to just "get it" (the way life works). And while I'm not nearly as fast or atheletic as I used to be, I can still dominate the younger kids on the playground (usually) because I gotten much more crafty as I've gotten older. But man-o-man does it take a long time to recover from a physical game of Footbal (American) or the occassional RacquetBall tournament. I used to bounce back in a day (or not even need to bounce back). Now it takes upwards of 4-5 days sometimes.

Keep in mind I'm only 32, so I'm sure eventually I'll pass the torch to the younger generation. Just not quite yet...

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Definitely exercise. (I just got back from a 20 mile bike ride). However, be aware that you might not spring back as quickly as you used to and if you already have a nagging injury, like a shoulder, be careful with it. Now probably isn't the time to suddenly start doing 300 pushups a day. Ease into larger and larger amounts of exercise being aware of new potential limits. Nothing is worse than a setback.

21. thedude110 thread starter macrumors 68020

thedude110

You're good people for being so kind. May I age as gracefully and with such optimism!

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I knew I was getting old when Playboy Playmates were 10 years younger then I.. not that I open it for anything other than articles.

23. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I realised I was getting old when I started making that special loud groaning/sighing noise when getting up out of the chair :)

Man alive, i'm only 33! :D

24. UberMac macrumors 6502

I started feeling old when...hang on a minute...I'm only 16 :D ...I still need to grow up before I get to the stage of feeling old. What I'd give to be 18 and out in the big bad world on my own! Although when it comes to it I'm sure I'll end up crawling back to dad from time to time for "One last cheque..."

If it makes anybody feel any better there are people in my class at school with receding hairlines!

Anyhoo must dash...kid stuff to do! Toodle pip...TTFN...and all that jazz

25. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I hate you! ;)

Only for your youth you understand....