how do I know it's charging when iphone is power off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asouns, Jul 15, 2008.

1. macrumors member

when you charging it and it's power off, there is no sign for telling you that the iphone is charging or when the charging is done, right?

2. macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can charge the iPhone when it is turned off... Do you mean power off, or when the screen in just blank ( as in you didn't turn it off but just pressed the sleep/wake button)? If so, then jsut press that button again, and it'll take you to the unlock screen.

3. obo
    macrumors newbie

The phone will turn on once you plug it in.

4. thread starter macrumors member

right , then I turn it off, so I was wondering is it still charging? if it is, how do I know then the charging is full?

5. macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Just curious, but why do you want to have the phone off while charging?

6. thread starter macrumors member

quickly fully charge or in the night I don't wanna calls to interrupt my sleep while charging

7. macrumors 6502a

Maybe because he's sleeping?!?!

8. macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

There's vibrate? Or turn the ringer all the way down?

Your preference. Though so far my experience has been that the iPhone charges pretty quickly. If you're an average person getting 6-8 hours of sleep that's more than enough time to charge an iphone.

9. macrumors demi-god

I think your quote pretty much sums it up. There is no sign about what the iPhone is doing (inc. when it's charging) when it's turned off.

I thought I read at one point last year that it didn't charge when it was turned off, but maybe they were just talking about charging when connected to a computer.

10. macrumors 603

quagmire

Just turn on airplane mode. Will turn off the cellular antenna. Or like already suggested turn it on vibrate.

11. macrumors newbie

Step 1 in the quick guide for my new iPhone is "leave new iPhone OFF and charge it fully"

12. macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Let's say you're at 78% and it's time for bed. Would you charge your phone? If you do charge it do you expect any extra degradation to the battery cycles? How does the iPhone handle charges like that?

13. macrumors member

I put my phone on to charge nightly, regardless of the battery level, because I never know how much I'll need the next day. Once the charger is plugged in, I turn the phone off so as to not interrupt my sleep. Phone does charge fine when turned off.

14. macrumors 65816

TroyBoy30

i always turn my phone off to charge. the sign it's charging is the 100% charge when you cut it back on! I hate the face that the phone cuts back on when you plug it up to charge!

15. macrumors 6502a

Just plug it in while it's on.. It will say it's charging.. Turn phone off.. It will continue to charge

All though like others.. I would just put my phone on silent or turn airplane mode on..

16. macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

The battery in the iPhone doesn't really suffer from partial charges - the big thing is that it does recommend once a month you let the phone go down real low (sub-20%) and let it charge to full and and stay there for a few hours once a month to make sure that the system recoginizes the battery's correct capacity (which degrades slightly over time, all batteries do).

So I'd let it get real low, turn off the cell part (aka Airplane mode ON) and let it charge over night once a month and it will be fine.

17. macrumors 68000

BeyondtheTech

One of the few things I bitched about to Lord Steve regarding an indicator LED.

As a company who is supposed to be environmentally green, why do I have to manually light up 614,400 pixels to tell me whether or not something is happening, when one could automatically do that for me?

Green = blink for on or fully charged, longer blink for charging
    Blue = Bluetooth active
    Yellow = Missed Notification
    Red = Missed call or message

Make the Sleep/Wake button clear or have an LED inside it and flash the status. I wouldn't have to pick up my iPhone every time I come back in the room to see if I missed something or someone.

18. macrumors 6502a

This is one thing I miss about my blackberry.

19. macrumors G5

use the force, luke.

20. macrumors 6502

how about plugging it in and turning it off and see if the battery percentage has gone up? doesn't seem very hard to figure out