How do I know my Iphone 3G 8GB is unlocked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Superus, Sep 26, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I think it is but what do you guys think?

I literally found an iphone 3G while trying to get the mail at my apt complex. At first i didn't know what it was until i kicked it over, and that's when i realized it was an iphone. The sim card was still in the iphone, i was able to remove that card and replace it with my card. At first it didn't work because it was passcoded, so i reformatted the iphone to 3.1 and i was able to get my sim card working.

I used many different att sim cards and and they all worked. I can't find anyone with a non att sim card. So from this information does it seem unlocked?

2. macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Open cydia, go to manage, go to sources, look for unltrasn0w (or it may be in packages).

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure? i upgraded to firmware 3.1 already. I don't think ultrasn0w would work on that version?

**update

I just did it and now it says i have no service. My modem firmware is 5-11-07

**Update 2

I can't downgrade to the lowest modem firmware because my baseband is not 5.08

4. macrumors 6502a

or you know...you could try contacting the original iphone owner and give it back instead of being a cheap, piece of garbage?

5. macrumors G4

dhlizard

Did you try opening contacts and trying to return it ?

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm new at this stuff... what do you mean?

7. macrumors G4

dhlizard

Open contacts, find a phone number for Owner, Mom or Dad, Sister and call them to return the phone to it's rightful owner.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

i wish i could but the phone is reformatted already. I lost everything

9. macrumors regular

LOL That's kind of messed up you wouldn't try it return it first. Karma.

10. macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Because you formatted it? LOL

11. macrumors 68020

Mystikal

ROFL people who think upgrading fixes things make me lol.

12. macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yea, what kills me is the title he gave the thread " How do I know my Iphone 3G 8GB is unlocked?"

And that he waits till after he "reformated" it (so he says) to try and make a contact to return it.

Yes, Karma indeed.

13. macrumors 604

anjinha

The fact that it works with different AT&T SIM cards doesn't mean that it's unlocked at all. A locked phone will work with any SIM cards from its carrier.

14. macrumors 6502

Reformatting to 3.1 killed any potential Jailbreak anyway.

Also - you effectively store the replacement cost of the phone from that person. Take it to AT&T store, turn it in. They can find out who owns it by the IMEI number.

Douche.

15. thread starter macrumors newbie

Just jailbroke the iphone on 3.1 my sim works on it as well.

Seriously guys if any one of you found something extremely appealing, I guarantee you would keep it. And if you say otherwise, then you are lying to yourselves. It is what it is.

And if you bothered to actually read my post, it said the phone had a passcode, the only way i could get in is by upgrading to 3.1 firmware. Which means completely deleting his info.

16. macrumors G4

dhlizard

No I would not !

Apparently you and I see things differently.

17. macrumors newbie

How to reformat a unlocked phone

"I think it is but what do you guys think?

I literally found an iphone 3G while trying to get the mail at my apt complex. At first i didn't know what it was until i kicked it over, and that's when i realized it was an iphone. The sim card was still in the iphone, i was able to remove that card and replace it with my card. At first it didn't work because it was passcoded, so i reformatted the iphone to 3.1 and i was able to get my sim card working.

I used many different att sim cards and and they all worked. I can't find anyone with a non att sim card. So from this information does it seem unlocked? "

How did you reformat the iphone?? i am in your position (LoL) i have the screen where i need a password, i cant get out of that screen how do i reformat it?

18. macrumors 6502a

Put it in restore mode. Turn it off, once it's off hold down the home button for a couple seconds (I usually do 10) and plug it into the computer while holding the home button.