How do I know what generation Touch I have?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by njguyfla, Sep 11, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I got it off of Ebay. All that came were the Touch, USB cable and earbuds. I guess it was refurbished or returned. It looks brand new.

I know this sounds like a stupid question.

in the About section of the Touch it says version 2.1 SF137 (does that mean 2nd generation?)

2. macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

If it has a speaker, it's 2nd gen. Otherwise it's first gen.

3. macrumors 601

gloss

Um. The new one has a volume rocker and a more svelte construction.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Okay no speaker so it must be 1 G

5. macrumors 68020

If the back is flat, and only rounded at the edges, is a Gen 1.

If the back is continously curved from edge to edge, it's a gen 2.

Hope that helps.

6. macrumors 6502a

PeteB

7. thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks, I see the easiest to see difference is on the back in the upper left hand (black area) corner the 2G has a rounded edge.

8. macrumors 68030

Well the very easiest way is just the volume buttons. If it dosen't have them, it's first gen.

9. macrumors 6502a

Get a coin and scratch along the back like those prize tickets.

10. macrumors regular

you can't tell buy the speaker, because you actually can't see it, its hidden inside. But it's there, its the same speaker that we have been using in iPods for the click wheel sound and the alarm functions.

11. macrumors G3

NT1440

:rolleyes: it is not a piezo speaker.

12. macrumors 68030

No, no it is not :)

I am *SO* glad (and so surprised!) that it has a speaker! I've desperately wanted one since I got my first iPod. I'm considering buying one before I really need it just because of the speaker.

13. macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Hahaha, I have had mine about 30 hrs and haven't even unwrapped the headphones yet! The speaker was a welcome addition, now just get her a lil' louder Apple... ;) :apple:

14. macrumors regular

the speaker is not that great, I used it once to play the soccer game I downloaded, you really won't be able to hear it, unless your in a quiet room.

15. macrumors G3

NT1440

exactly, this is why i knew it would be a bad idea for apple to put one in. After the months and months of seeing alot of people complain hear about it not having a speaker, now were gonna get dozens of angry threads (tons of people go over the top for such little things dont they) about people complaining its not good enough or loud enough. You just simply cant put a great/very good sounding speaker in a package that small/thin.,

edit: wordlife this isnt directed at you, i just used your post as a segway to say something

16. macrumors 68030

I'd prefer it be loud of course, but still, having ANYTHING in there is a huge step up from previous iPods. I've toyed with getting an iPhone without using it as a phone, just because the hardware buttons and speaker were worth so much to me...and they more or less added both, which was really everything I wanted

(Aside from someone releasing a solid office suite for it...)

17. macrumors member

I'm glad it's not loud. Not because I'd never use it (I doubt I would) but so I don't have to hear what everyone else is listening to or watching.