Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M@netic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Hi,

This is a stupid question. I just got my first mac ever yesterday(!!!), but I can't seem to find appleworks (or nanosaur... bu that's not important) anywhere? Do I have to install it myself?

also, I don't understand all the controversy about the scrolling trackpad. It's working great for me.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't think they come standard on pro Macs (ie, PowerBooks) because you get different apps instead. Yeah, I know that sucks and doesn't really make sense.

BTW, I could be wrong on that.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Look in Hard Drive->Applications->Appleworks->Appleworks

I think thats where it should be.

EDIT: or do a search for it.

EDIT2: You have a powerbook, which doesn't come with Appleworks. - Try NeoOffice/J, OpenOffice, Abiword (Microsoft Word equivalent), um... I can't think of any other office suites.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I recommend investing in Office for Mac. It's a pretty cool bunch of apps and it means you don't really have to worry about compatibility with others so much.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
mad jew said:
I recommend investing in Office for Mac. It's a pretty cool bunch of apps and it means you don't really have to worry about compatibility with others so much.

I would agree, otherwise look at iWork, which includes a nice word processor Pages and presentation software Keynote.

Microsoft Office 2004 is excellent too.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Personally, I won't put anything Microsoft on my computers. MS installs too many small, hidden files that don't go away when un-installed.

Pages (Apple's new program in iLife) is not really a word processor, yet an excellent page layout program. TextEdit, which you do have in OS X on your Mac, is a better word processor. So it depends on what you are looking for and trying to do.

What are you trying to do? What apps are you looking for? Word processing? Spreadsheet? Database? Drawing? Painting? Presentation? All the above?

Are you specifically looking for AppleWorks? Did you find it in your Applications folder? I use AppleWorks everyday and have for seems like over ten years. I have never had compatibility problems with others.

I am surprised if AppleWorks is not provided with pro systems. Yet I have never heard of nanosaur and you were also looking for that too. Check your installation discs that came with your Mac.

Well, I just remembered one quirky thing about the AppleWorks installer. AppleWorks runs great in OS X, however the AppleWorks installer only runs in Classic (or OS 9). So, if you choose to not install Classic, then you don't get AppleWorks. Meaning that if you don't have Classic (OS 9) on your Mac, then you probably don't have AppleWorks. If you do have Classic (OS 9), then the AppleWorks installer should be on one of the install discs and a selectable option within the OS X installer.

There is a "work around" if you have an OS 9 (Classic) system or know someone that has an OS 9 (Classic) system.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
mad jew said:

If you need Office, then Office is good. Bloated, but good. That is the nicest thing I can say about any Microsoft application (except maybe for Flight Simulator). If you don't need Office (corporate environment doesn't require it, don't need to share files with other Office users, etc) then anything will do. Most people who buy Office only use Word. And even then they only use the most basic features of Word. It's a stupid waste of money but people are afraid of not owning Word. You already own TextEdit, which can handle 95% of your word processing needs.

I did try out NeoOfficeJ a couple days ago. It doesn't look much like an OS X app, but it seems to work just fine. The the price is right too. If you need advanced features I'd suggest giving that a try before spending money on Office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.