How do I learn more about OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by nj908, Aug 6, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

May 29, 2012
    Hello all,

Over the past few months I've become very interested in computers (Windows as well). Where could I learn more about the inner workings of a Mac? Such as programming, how to use terminal, things like that? Finding such material is very easy for Windows, but not for Macs. Thats a shame, I truly enjoy Macs much, much more. Thanks!
  2. ConCat, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2012
    In an ethereal plane of existence.
    How much experience do you have with programming in general?

i.e. Do you know C, C++, Java, etc. The best programming language to use on Mac OS is Objective-C, although you can get away with C, C++ and even Java (although support for Java has decreased in recent years).

I'd suggest looking into AppleScript as a good way to start programming on Mac OS, if you're new. If you have experience in C or C++, then going right to Objective-C would be better. AppleScript should still be a side project though, as there are many advantages to knowing how to use it.
  3. macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2012
    you can begin from xcode to learn programming

you can download a Xcode to your MAC OS, as well as some document about it. then you can begin to programming on your MAC OS. I found some document that suitable for newer , such as <<CocoaProgrammingForMaxOsX3rd>>. you also can search some online document to learn it .

here is a link about cocoa