How do I make a copy of Word with license?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by California, Dec 13, 2006.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I sent my nieces an older iMac G3, practially new in the box, for Xmas. Panther loaded, but then I forgot they need Word. I have three licenses on my Mac 2004 WORD OFFICE or whatever it is. Can I just make a copy of it by cd and send it with the license? Do I have to program it for Linux or anything in order to make a copy? Thanks and all they have is a CD ROM so no dvds.

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

What? :confused: If you have three licenses and a CD with the software on it, then just send them a CD and one of the licenses, shouldn't have to do anything special, Office is a drag-n-drop installation.

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

What's with the random Linux interjection? While you can send her a CD and "give" her one of your licenses, this is likely against the license agreement (as I'm assuming you have the student/teacher edition that gives you 3 licenses).

4. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Hi, there is only one cd in the box, with three different licenses. Can I just make a copy of the cd and send it to them with the license for it? And can I just burn a cd normally or do I have to burn it through Linux? I have never copied software before and pretty dumb about it all -- never even downloaded a song except imported from my cds.

Thanks !

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The license IIRC is for three machines under one roof, and cannot be split up or resold without breaking the terms of the EULA.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes u can, I just wonder how you gonna copy that CDs tho :D

legal question? sorry, not my problem, lol

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If that's true, then I have to recommend to the OP that they not do this unless it's going to be within the terms of the EULA, but...

I don't understand why you think Linux has anything to do with this. But yes, you can just make a copy of the CD and it should work. In fact I think you could just copy the whole Office folder onto a CD and it'll work fine. Like I said, it's drag-n-drop, it installs the files it needs when you first run it (I wish it didn't, I don't like it installing all those stupid fonts :mad: ).

8. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

I needed a copy of 9.2.2 because I could not use my 9.1 install disc for some reason on a Powermac. Someone told me that you can't just copy an install disc, you have to use the Linux version when you are in disc utility.

Well, that's what he said.

9. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I've never had problems copying discs with Disk Utility on OS X

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

CanadaRam is correct. whats wrong with openoffice? as it can write and read word files