How do i make a desktop theme?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Keytachi, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Keytachi macrumors regular

how? and is that even possible? please help me out

2. pake macrumors regular

what exactly do you mean by "desktop theme"?
    If you want selected pictures to change every x numbers of minutes, you can put them on a folder and select that folder in system preference under desktop pictures.

3. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

i was more thinking of changing the folders icon and stuff like that

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

5. Callander macrumors member

Callander

6. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

well i downloaded candybar2 and ill download the others now ill post back for some feedback

7. Callander macrumors member

Callander

candybar - icon replacement
    pixadex - icon database (you can save all your icons there)
    shapeshifter - theme changer
    themepark - theme editor/creator

8. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Mac OS X is not Windows. Everything is not comparable between the two.

Mac OS X forces more consistency than Windows, and when you see how FUBAR'd some people's desktop is on Windows, you appreciate the simplicity.

9. Callander macrumors member

Callander

That is why themeing is better on mac os x because everything is pretty. There is nothing wrong with adding a different touch to your icons, wallpaper.. etc.

10. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

i downloaded them all and the ones i like most its the candybar and the pixadex (its in the candybar site) thx alot for your help :D

11. CHINAdeals macrumors newbie

bringing up an old thread but anyone have any first hand experience of using THEMEPARK or SHAPESHIFTER.

thinking of purchasing

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Yes, I used ShapeShifter. If you download it you can use it fully, but it expires after 15 days unless you pay. So why not give it a try?

I had a go. You know - got fed up with the Apple interface and wanted a change - but after trying various subtle and not so subtle themes I went back to the Apple default. There always seemed to be something annoying in the design - shading that obscured menu items or the like. Apple spent a long time designing their GUI and released it as it is for a reason. That's just my opinion, though. Anyway, it's good fun to mess around with.

13. CHINAdeals macrumors newbie

thanks for the post.

doesn't seem like its out yet for the intel computers yet..gotta wait for a macbook ver.

14. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

In all technicality, you don't *need* ShapeShifter to use themes. You can modify the system defaults using ThemePark, and switch between them via System Preferences.

It's what I did for my personal OS 9 theme; that's not to say I'm recommending this method. And, if I'm not mistaken, it's also similar to how Uno works (in that Uno is not a layer, it simply modifies system files). All the gory details are in

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras.rsrc
    and

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
    Extras2.rsrc, as far as I can tell on Intel machines, pertains to Rosetta'd applications, that or Carbon apps. At any rate, when you save these files (be sure to back up your originals, and have terminal handy...) be sure to save them in architectures that are fitting to your Macintosh. Intel vs PPC, in other words.

Anyroad, ShapeShifter *does* exist for Intel Macs (see here). It's in beta testing (and it crashes Rosetta apps hardcore), not that I recommend haxies...