Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fh2level

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
ATL
How do I make Adobe Reader the default application to open ALL .pdf files instead of Preview? Besides doing it one by one when open the file?
Thanks

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Click on a .pdf file. Choose "Get Info" from the File menu or hit command-I.

Under the "Open With" section, choose Acrobat Reader, then click the "Change all..." button and confirm.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
fh2level said:
How do I make Adobe Reader the default application to open ALL .pdf files instead of Preview? Besides doing it one by one when open the file?
Thanks

CTRL-click on a pdf file, choose 'Open with', scroll to Adobe Reader and select, then check the 'Always open with' checkbox, click 'OK' and you're done.

fh2level

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
ATL
I have done that but it only changes it for that file...the next PDF file I have to do it again or it will open in Preview. And I have a lot of PDF files that is a pain in the butt to have to do that to every single file.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
blodwyn said:
CTRL-click on a pdf file, choose 'Open with', scroll to Adobe Reader and select, then check the 'Always open with' checkbox, click 'OK' and you're done.

The first answer was better. There is no 'Always open with' option in the context-sensitive menu for 'Open With'.

fh2level

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
ATL
You have to scroll to "open with" then go to "other" then choose "Reader" and select "always open with" in that menu but that only does that for the single file the default reader for .pdf is still Preview and I don't know how to change that to Adobe Reader

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
fh2level said:
You have to scroll to "open with" then go to "other" then choose "Reader" and select "always open with" in that menu but that only does that for the single file the default reader for .pdf is still Preview and I don't know how to change that to Adobe Reader

See WildCowboy's solution. That'll do it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.