How do I make an installer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by settledown, Feb 28, 2005.

1. settledown macrumors regular

I have some files i want to put together into an installer. But im not sure how to do it.

I thought Apple would have a free dev tool to do this. I dont want to have to buy VISE X just to do this one project.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

3. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Filestorm

Mindvision also makes a $20 dmg creator (or an $80 installer - the Pro version) called Filestorm.

http://www.mindvision.com/filestorm_about.asp

I think they realized they were missing out on the shareware / freeware market, so they released a simpler model.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

5. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

:confused: You don't need to distribute Installer the application - it exists on every mac (running OS X)? You only need to distrubute your .pkg (or .mpkg) you create with PackageMaker, which I understood can be used for any commercial/non-commercial purpose.

Now youre confusing me.

7. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

So why does Apple have a Software Licensing Agreement for Installer (complete with a price list in the pdf you send in)?

http://developer.apple.com/softwarelicensing/agreements/installer.html

I've never submitted this Licensing Agreement, but I have submitted the Licensing Agreement for QT - even though there was no charge, it still was a two month long process to get the paperwork back (I believe it was handled in Texas for some reason???)

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Perhaps you need to read it :confused:

"If you use all or part of any Apple software in a program that will be distributed to other people, you need to license the use of that software from Apple Computer, Inc. Apple Trademarks must also be licensed for use."

The key word there is IN.

Installer is already installed (no pun intended) on every mac running OS X. You as a developer should have no need to distribute Installer since Apple did this for you. You as a developer/software company will distribute your package or meta-package file(s) which will be run by Installer on the clients machine. Creating such files using PackageMaker is completely free of charge.

9. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

What's with the belligerent tone? Take it down a notch!!

The original question was about creating an installer "for this one project" and looking for another option besides VISE X, which starts at $650 per year for a license.

So is it a great leap to assume that any person looking for an installer and considering $650 solutions wants to install on a computer besides their own?

Also, every Mac OS X ships with the Installer application that OPENS an install package - creating the installer to solve the initial question of the post involves the license.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I didn't see anything belligerent in the post you quoted.

Installer is on every OS X Mac. You do not need to include it. Therefore, as far as I can tell, you can create a package with PackageMaker and distribute it, free. There is no licensing involved whatsoever, as each user already owns Installer.

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

This is my point. You don't have to pay to use PackageMaker - therefore it is FREE to create an installable package (or meta-package).

If you wanted to include Installer inside your application, you have to license it. Just as you would if you wanted to include Quicktime INSIDE your application or any other Apple owned software package for that matter.

I don't mean to sound beligerant, but I'm not sure you have made the connection yet since you keep insisting that you have to pay to create an installable package, and the reality of the matter is you don't have to.

12. settledown thread starter macrumors regular

ok, so i use PackageMaker (free)

This is for personal use (unless someone want to pay me for it, doubt it). I just want to make the process easy for me to do in the future.

Will packagemaker allow me to specify exactly where i want the files placed on the destination mac? I want the installer/user to NOT be able to alter this path. this is crucial to its working.

will packagemaker allow the installation of files into the system/library?

I am just beginning to read the link to the developers site about packages.

13. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

My misunderstanding! Sorry ;)

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

No worries ;)