Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
How do I make copies of my DVD movies?

I have an eMac with a Superdrive, does anybody know of a software that will let me copy DVD movies to play in standalone DVD players?

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
You need Three Things

One: DVDBackUp to decrypt DVD's

Two: DVD2OneX to compress processed file to fit in a consumer 4.7GB DVD-R.

Toast 5.2 or Higher to burn DVD.

There may be other combinations: but this one works every time if you follow the documentation.

Do a search on Versiontracker for the first two.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Originally posted by mikeyredk
this thread should not be in this forum

but use dvd2onex

PLEEEAAASSE:

The being who started the thread knows nothing of human copyrights. It is an alien. It wants to know how we mere mortals get by the system of trust and honesty. This is merely a test: because NO ONE that visits MacRumors ever asks for anything that "humans" may find offensive. Grow up, you freakin' nay sayers.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
This is what I do. (to create a Div-X file of any DVD movie (PC)

1. Use DVD decrypter or Ripper to rip the DVD into VOB files.

2. Use Flask MPEG with mp3 audio and Div-X 5.1, to compress the video, on my Athlon 1GHz it take 6-7 hours for a 2 hour movie (hey the Athlon 1GHz was great when I bought it in late 2000)

3. Use Virtual Dub to split the Avi in to sizes that will fit on CD's.

I also have DVD Architect from Sonic Foundry for MPEG 2 incoding, but currently don't have a DVD burner, but it's good for smaller projects, that are less than 700MB when in MPEG 2, since CD's with DVD incoding will still play in household DVD players.

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by noel4r
any shorter method like DVDXCopy for PCs?

321 studios the company that makes dvdxcopy says on their web site that a mac version is on the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.