how do i make my old imac g4 wireless?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by newkeyboard, Aug 25, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

I have a 20" 1.25 ghz imac (with the lamp screen). How would I go about setting up a wireless connection to my bt home hub. I searched the forum and found some mention of wifi cards but I thought the only thing I can add to an imac is ram? Can someone help a wifi noob out?

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Here's the spec sheet for your computer. The Airport card you need is listed as well. Might be hard to find.

3. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The easiest options is definitely to buy an AirPort Extreme card. I think these instructions will work for your 20" iMac but haven't ever opened one up personally.

4. macrumors 6502

jczubach

5. macrumors 6502

You have a G4 that will take an Extreme card, they are not just plentiful, but they are still for sale in Apple stores and mail order companies. Popping one in is a little interesting, but go slow, stay organized, it is not that bad.

6. macrumors newbie

What about a 15 inch 1.0 ghz g4

I have a 15 inch 1.0 ghz g4 and am having a hard time figuring out if it will take airport extreme of just airport. Thanks.

7. macrumors 68000

brop52

Same model family as the OP. You need the extreme. (Fortunately).

8. macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

If you do your research, you can find some USB wireless adapters that will work in OS X.

9. macrumors newbie

sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I am trying to make my imac wireless also. If I get an airport extreme card is that all I need to access the internet via my non-mac router? or do you need to have a mac base station also?

10. macrumors 68000

brop52

Which iMac? But yes, as long as the card is compatible with the iMac and the router then all should be fine.

11. macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

as long as its wireless g router everything should work just fine