How do I make ringtones?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cmm, May 24, 2006.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Are there any free apps I can use to take a song I import from iTunes and make a ringtone out of it?

I need to know how to do it from after the import on.

Thanks for the help.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Yep, drag the file to your desktop (or wherever), use Audacity to cut out the clip you want, save it as an MP3, and transfer it to the Audio folder on your phone.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Sorry, not sure, I already had an Audio folder on my RAZR.

5. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I used MP3 Cutter to make a ringtone and then transferred the file through Bluetooth.

6. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

If it doesn't have one, you can't create ringtones. Everyone is also assuming your phone supports MP3 ringtones in the first place.

What kind of phone do you have, and what method of connecting it to your computer do you use?

7. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am connecting through bluetooth and it has an audio folder. So, I import the song, set it up in audacity, then clip the song, save it and drag it to the audio folder?

8. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Yes. You probably have to adjust the bitrate (many phones require 64kbps for mp3 ringtones), but other than that, you're good to go. Clip, do fade in/out as appropriate, and copy the file (make sure it has a short and simple file name and be careful not to overwrite the actual song file).

9. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the 'LameLib.bundle'. Where do I install this so audacity sees it so I can export the mp3?

10. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Wherever you want. I tossed mine in Library>Application Support, but you could put it in your Utilities folder. When you use the export command, it'll ask you where Lame is located.

11. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got that now I am trying to record the 30 second piece. I pressed play then the red button but when I export it to mp3 and then import it back to listen to it, I get the full song?

12. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

You don't need the record button at all. Use the cut markers to make your selection, then trim the excess and export.

13. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You can do the same thing entirely in iTunes. Get info (cmd-I) on the audio file, then click on the Options button. Set the start and end time where you want the file clipped, click OK. Now convert the file using the Advanced menu (making certain that the conversion is set to MP3 in Preferences under Advanced/Import Options). You can also set the bitrate.