How do I make the Dell 2005FPW as the primary display on my PB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wako, Aug 1, 2005.

1. wako macrumors 65816

I was wondering if there is anyway as making the 2005FPW as the primary display. What I mean is that the 2005FPW has the toolbar, the dock, and the all that junk. Im actually trying to make it mirror the PowerBook but with a resolution of 1680x1050. Is there anyway to do that?

Also how do I turn off the option so when I close the screen on the PB it doesnt make the system goto sleep?!

FYI: I switched just yesterday so thats why Im such a noob :(

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Ok go to system preferences, and go to displays. Click on arrangement, and drag the little bar on the top over to the 2005FPW.

3. fradac macrumors regular

also..

capt underpants is correct if you want to use both screens

but apprently you also want to just use the Dell screen. for that this what you do, make sure the power is plugged in for the Powerbook, and with your Dell monitor connected, close the lid, now you can wake up your powerbook by moving/clicking any USB Mouse/Keyboard. also you can wake it up with a Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard if you already have em configured.

this way only the Dell screen will be on and your powerbook will work as a desktop

hope this helps

4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I believe if you press Fn-F7 you can switch between spanning (using both monitors) and mirroring (Dell as the primary display)

5. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't seem to be having as much luck..

Unfortunately when I close the lid and try to wake it up with my Mouse or Keyboard it is entirely unresponsive...

I did find that when made the system goto sleep without closing the lid, it did wake back up. Is there an option where I can select so that closing the lid would still allow me to wake it up?

6. fradac macrumors regular

make sure..

Display closed operation is only possible on the powerbook IF and ONLY IF the powerbook is connected to external power, i.e. the poweradaptor has to be connected.

with that connected and powerbook sleeping with a external monitor connected it WILL wake from a USB Mouse or Keyboard.

PM me if you can't get it to work, we can chat and i can help you

p.s. if your mouse or keyboard is Bluetooth, goto system preference and under Keyboard & Mouse settings, check "let bluetooth device wake this computer from sleep", under bluetooth

p.s.s. here, i found the article at apple site
    <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88064>

7. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

I LOVE YOU!

8. fradac macrumors regular

hehe

hehe, well thank you :) now we just need to see a photo of your setup

post one

9. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

uhhhh...

how do you take a screenshot? :D

Where can I host it?! :confused:

10. fradac macrumors regular

if you go back to system preferenced and then keyboard/mouse. look at keyboard shortcuts that should show you how to do screen capture amungst other things.

but i was refering to your setup, a picture of your powerbook and the screen, etc your desk.

11. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh...

well you do NOT want to see my desk... its a... VERY messy to say the least.

But basically my setup is this...

I have a PC (shuttle system) setted up with a klipsh 2.1 speaker hooked onto it. That clutters about 40% of my space on my desk, then one Dell 2005FPW that has my laptop and PC hooked into it, that takes about another 10% of my desk space. Then I got a joystick, one keyboard for my PC, one razer diamondback for my PC, one apple wireless keyboard, and finally one apple wireless mouse. That clutters up the rest of my desk space. And of course like any gamer you see CDs, DVDs, cases, soda bottles, taco bell bottles, bags of chips, cookies, whatever everywhere around, under, and everything else around the desk.

I'll try to snap a few shots if I can get ahold of my digicam.. just have to dig through my mess o_O