How do i manage user and group access in OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, Jul 31, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Is their any online tutes or guides on how to manage user and group access to files and folders. Are their any apps to make it easy? Every file and folder has in its permissions, owners and groups, but where do I add remove users to these groups etc etc etc

I need this coz some applications I install under my admin level login work fine, but seem to get write access errors when run under my kids' logins.

thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Click on the "Accounts" preferences pane.

3. rand() macrumors regular

I had this exact same problem with Warcraft III a few days ago. It ran perfectly under my user, but couldn't save any files on my Wife's. You're Schwartz is strong, you've correctly deduced that it's a permissions-created write access problem.

Here's how I fixed Warcraft. I right-clicked (or ctrl-clicked, if you're using a one-button mouse) on the Warcraft III folder, which for me was in the Applications folder. I then selected "Get Info..." From there, you see the "Ownership & Permissions" section. Click the arrows to expand that section out to see the whole thing, details and all. The owner should be set to "system," with access as "Read & Write." Group should be "admin," access also "Read & Write." Others should stay Read only. At some point, it asked for the Administrator password. Then I clicked, "Apply to enclosed items" and OK'd the "Are you sure..." dialog. Then I clicked the lock again. All's now hunky dorey. Except for those blasted Night Elves and their dragons.

:) -rand()

4. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

misterme... i wish it was that easy!

rand()... thanks dude! I'll give that a try!

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, what you're looking for--adding users to specific groups, rather than just the default (users/admin) groups--is possible, but not with the standard control panels.

You want to go to VersionTracker or the like and find a program called "SharePoints"; it can be installed as a control panel or just run as an application, and it gives you complete controls over user and group permissions, who belongs to what groups, sharing specific folders, fiddling with the available SMB sharing features, creating share-only users (with no home folder), and more.

It's very powerful, not teribly hard to figure out if you have a general idea of how users and groups work, and free. Get some.

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    you can manage groups in the netinfo manager.