How do I move & combine iTunes libraries?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Diomedes, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2004
    San Francisco
    Since my main iTunes library has now exceeded 50% of my PowerBook's internal drive, I want to move it to an external drive and merge it with another library that exists there (obviously, without losing my playlists). Can anyone tell me how to do that?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Can you afford to lose the playlists from one of the libraries? I can't think of a way to keep both library's playlists, sorry. :eek:

Use the iTunes Preference pane to move your internal drive's library to the external drive. This is done through the Advanced panel where you Change the library location. Then, simply drag the second library into the first and they'll add albeit without their playcounts/playlist info.

Hopefully someone else will come up with a better way though. :)
  3. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2003
    What happens when you try and consolidate the library when both are connected?

What I've done to share itunes across multiple users is to use aliases to one itunes registry for both of the accounts on the computer. I don't know if that helps you or not. I know it's not what you're trying to do but maybe it gives you an idea?