How do i not get my sisters songs?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Chrissy, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Chrissy macrumors newbie

Ive got an ipod mini and my sisters got an ipod, but now on itunes it shows both our songs, so when i update my ipod i'll get my sisters songs and she'll get mine
    How do i do it so i dont get her songs and have like 2 itunes? (if that makes sense)

Thanks xxx
    :)

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but, based on what I think you mean, here's my explanation:

If you and your sister use different accounts on your Mac(s), you'll have different iTunes libraries altogether (unless you've jumped through hoops to combine them)... so no worries.

However, I suspect that you both use the same account and so share an iTunes library. In that case, you'll both have access to the same pool of songs, but you could choose to manually select which songs you each want on your iPods. You could create a folder for her songs and one for yours, then use those folders to load your iPods. And there are other things you could do as well to keep the songs "separate" even though they're in the same iTunes library.

Is this even close to what you wanted to know? If you explain your situation a bit better, perhaps I could be of more help.

Edit: your iPods will always have some or all of the iTunes songs in them, but they aren't really "duplicate iTunes" in the sense you implied - iTunes just shows what's on the iPods when they're connected, which, of course, will be copies of what's in the iTunes library. Each iPod might have some of (or all of) the same songs as the other iPod, but that's not a problem.

3. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Set up two (or more) playlists, one with your tracks and one with your sisters...... the when you plug in your iPod go to preferences and select "only add selected playlists to ipod"..... and you select your playlist for your pod and she selects her's for her pod.

I do this on my iTunes

4. Chrissy thread starter macrumors newbie

5. matthewreid macrumors newbie

matthewreid

Select all of her songs and click on "Get Info". Then put her name or something that identifies the songs as hers into the "grouping" space. Then make a smart playlist that has the rule "does not contain grouping: _______", and put the name of her grouping into that space. Then when you attach your iPod, select from that smart playlist, which will not contain any of her songs.

6. Chrissy thread starter macrumors newbie

ohh okk, i just spent ages draggin alll my songs into a playlist lol took ages, she might want some of my songs though

7. Chrissy thread starter macrumors newbie

Not updated my ipod since like July lol, cus went on holiday in august for a month n since i got back I havent updated it cus dont want my sisters songs, now when i put it in, its not doin anythin, think it just needs charging though :/

8. sreedy macrumors 6502a

You can put songs in both playlists....

9. Chrissy thread starter macrumors newbie

yep