How do I open a boomark in a new tab in Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by streetfighter, Nov 12, 2006.

1. streetfighter macrumors newbie

I'm a new Mac user, and I am trying to figure out how to open a bookmark in a new tab. I do Ctrl + click or Cmd + click but they just open my bookmark in the current tab. I am using Safari 2.0.4.

2. mashinhead macrumors 68020

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

From the Bookmarks Menu or the Bookmarks Bar?

From the Bar, it's usually command-shift-click, depending on your Safari tab preferences. I don't think you can open bookmarks in anything but the current window if you're coming from the Menu.

4. streetfighter thread starter macrumors newbie

Does not work for me. It only opens the bookmark in my current tab.

5. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I don't know if there is a way, but I always use the shortcut CMD T , to open a new tab, then go to a bookmark.

6. streetfighter thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to open from the bookmarks menu. This is unfortunate if I can't open a new tab within the bookmark menu. I am pretty use to this action when using Firefox.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Ah yes...you can do it. Hold down command and shift, then click on the "Bookmarks" menu and then the link.

That's assuming that you do not have "Select new tabs as they are created" checked in Safari's Tabs preferences. If you do have that option checked, do the above but with only command (no shift).

8. streetfighter thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried all your suggestions, unfortunately, I can't get any of them too work. :(

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmmm....I don't know what to tell you. :confused:

This is what my Safari Tabs preferences look like:

Picture 2.png

If I hold down the command and shift keys together, then click on "Bookmarks" to open the drop-down Bookmark menu (while continuing to hold those keys down), clicking any link in the menu opens it in a new tab with focus on the new tab.

10. streetfighter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help WildCowboy. I followed your suggestion of holding down command and shift THEN click the bookmarks menu then on the bookmark. That combo opens it up in a new tab. :)

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Glad you got it...sorry I wasn't clear enough in my original explanation. :eek: :D

12. peschomd macrumors newbie

You can use right click or ctrl click i believe

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That does nothing for bookmarks in the Bookmark Menu and brings up a contextual menu when using the Bookmark Bar. The contextual menu has an option for you to open it in a new tab, but the command-shift-click is the direct shortcut in both places.