How do I open .exe files?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by donniedarko, Dec 25, 2004.

1. donniedarko macrumors regular

I need to download engine management maps for my motorcycle fuel management... These .exe files I download I cannot open despite all my efforts (Stuffit e.g.).
    Anyone know?
    TIA
    xDx

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

.exe files are Windows executables, a.k.a. Applications. You'll need Windows or VPC running Windows

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Some of the .exe files are self extracting zip archives...

Don't remember which ones will do it anymore, you can try.

http://www.maczipit.com/

But I don't have the HD with the utility I downloaded inside the machine right now, and I cannot recall the name of the utility.

4. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

even if you get to open those files how do you upload them onto or into the motorcycle ecu?

you either need to run virtual pc on your mac or get a pc laptop.

since we don't know the specifics her is what i did with my car (kinda like the same situation the software is only windows based in configuration with a serial port) I just bought an old ibm laptop (they are really cheap).
    hope that helps!?!?

5. srphoto macrumors member

6. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.... Well I was hoping to see if I could find a utility or go around but I guess when they say you need a PC, you need a PC. Can you believe I have been looking for someone with a PC to use around where I live and not one person with a laptop to load the applicable maps into my bike... we are taking over but does nothing for my bike!

7. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

its about time that those people that write the software for stuff like that not only write it for pc but also for mac. wouldn't that be great. no more headaches!

8. srphoto macrumors member

donniedarko said,
    Thanks guys.... Well I was hoping to see if I could find a utility or go around but I guess when they say you need a PC, you need a PC. Can you believe I have been looking for someone with a PC to use around where I live and not one person with a laptop to load the applicable maps into my bike... we are taking over but does nothing for my bike!

I'll say it again... VIRTUAL PC.

9. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

I've been informed VPC won't work in all instances if an app is written for a Pentium chip. I wanted to use my iMac to configure my home theater equipment; however I was informed VPC wouldn't help as this particular app required a Pentium chip.

I haven't tested this theory - I thought it best to just use a ThinkPad I have vs. investing in VPC...

Frank

10. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

OS X likes to run FahCore_78.exe. :D