How do I order a upgraded video card from apple?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by taeclee99, Apr 11, 2004.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I want to buy a Radeon 9800 pro to replace the stock 64 meg geforce fx in my g5 tower. However, the card that ATI sells directly does not have an adc connector on it.Therefore I want to order the BTO version of the radeon 9800 from apple but cannot find it on their website. Anyone know how I would go about ordering one?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Welcome to Apples little world. :rolleyes: this is a direct reflection upon the companies practices of thinking different. finding videocards at Apple is like looking for a needle in the haystack and then when you do they will sock it to you. I dont think they will sell you one but i would call on the phone and see what they say. good luck.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You appear to need one of these : Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition Special Edition

Is that the longest product name in the world?

btw. Google is your friend. The search terms for this were: radeon 9800 Pro Mac ADC.

Edit:Close URL UBB Tag.

4. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Thanks, This is the info I needed. The 256 meg version card costs a whopping 469 smackers and it appears thats it's not for sale yet. I better start saving those pennies!

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

interesting because it does say January and this is April. SOS.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Maybe I can save you more money. Why do you want to upgrade your video card?

7. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I'm wondering when I'll be able to get a Wildcat card for my PowerMac. :rolleyes: All the other platforms have professional graphics options, even the Dell systems running Microsoft Windows. :eek:

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its hard to get companies to make Mac products when you have 2% of new sales in the expanding market. Apple needs to break out of the Bubble they live in.

9. naodx macrumors newbie

Well since that card isn't actually out yet, and probably won't be put out, you could save yourself a little money if you bought the retail ATI 9800 pro and an ADC adapter for your monitor.

The retail card can be bought on buy.com for 293.95 (with free shipping and no tax in most states), and the ADC to DVI cables run around $100 (haven't priced then lately).

If your drooling over the fact that the one card listed 256mb of ram vs. 128mb on the available card, I wouldn't worry. Tests done at www.tomshardware.com have shown practically no difference between the two pc versions when it comes to performance.