Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Ok, here's the situation:

I'm going to a conference tomorrow and I need get up early and be ready by 7:15am tomorrow morning. Its 11:30pm right now, so naturally, I haven't started packing yet.

I am going for 5 days. I have a huge full sized suitcase, and a 60 L (vertically set tubular) backpack that's great for camping trips and such. I don't want to bring my suitcase because it's a bit much for a 5 day trip. All I want to bring are a few nice shirts, dress pants, a pair of black shoes, some shorts and regular t-shirts (it's in Adelaide), and the other regular necessities (toothbrush, socks, etc). I don't need a lot of space.

I want to bring my backpack. However, if I don't bring the suitcase, I can't fold the shirts minimally, and so my dressy shirts will look wrinkled and creased. I just ironed them and they look very crisp right now. :cool: I also don't want to fold my pants too much in case they crease, and I can't do this if I bring my backpack.

Buuuuuuuuuut..... my friend says that if I just "roll my shirts" instead of fold them, they won't wrinkle!! I think that's bril, so right now I'm doing that, but should I listen to a guy who doesn't even OWN a dress shirt? :D :p

Also, what do I do about my nice pants? Should I just roll them as well? Should I just bring my massive suitcase/mobile home?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Rolling works -- takes up less space too.

jsw also had a recent good tip about ziplock bags...

Found it, it's in the private forum (see, that's how exciting it is in there) so I'll quote:

Even better? Get (largest possible) ziplock bags, put a change of clothes in each, roll to remove air, seal them, then flatten. Done right, clothes don't wrinkle and each morning requires pulling one bag out on your way to the shower. There are more expensive but similar solutions, but cheap ziplock bags work fine.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Rolling is good - but obviously not just into a ball! Fold it into so that it's 'half' the front and then roll. Pants (assuming you mean trousers as opposed to your underwear) fold in half and then roll up the length.

NB I got tired of ironing all my blouses etc before I went to conferences so now I just fold/roll them out of the dryer and put them in the case. Then when I get there, while waiting for everyone else to get ready to go to the bar, I give them all a quick press and ta da.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
If you really want them to stay lookin' nice, I'd take the winnebago, stop by Houston so you can bring me a sammich, and I can press them.
:p

you COULD roll pants, though.

You do know that wrinkled is the "new pressed", right? You're just being trendy.

and what kinda conference puts you in a motel without an iron? Irons are standard now, even in like... $30/night rooms.

And put your shampoo and toothpaste in socks, so if they explode, they don't get everywhere. And put some stuff in your shoes. A lot of people don't. That's about 2 cube feet of unused space!

...I bet astronauts have to pack real good....
Oh, this is what I think about when I have 3 hours of sleep. OK. :D

L

Lau

Another good trick is if your trousers/suit jacket/shirt is a bit creased, hang it on a hanger in the hotel bathroom as you shower. The steam makes it less creased. And helps with the last night bar smell as well. :) Multitasking rocks. Oh, and can you tell I really hate ironing? :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Sweet, thats a good tip. I'm definitely gonna hang everything up in the bathroom from now on.

@Applespider: Now about the rolling and "quick press," can you actually iron dressy wool pants? I'm under the impression that I can't, and that dry cleaners usually press them a special way. It doesn't have instructions in my pants.

L

Lau

Abstract said:
Sweet, thats a good tip. I'm definitely gonna hang everything up in the bathroom from now on.

@Applespider: Now about the rolling and "quick press," can you actually iron dressy wool pants? I'm under the impression that I can't, and that dry cleaners usually press them a special way. It doesn't have instructions in my pants.

Ooh, I know that too! How I know this stuff is beyond me, because I iron nothing. You can generally iron them, but don't have the iron too hot, and if you iron directly on to the fabric they go shiny. Not a good look. So I usually put a slighty damp tea towel over them, and iron through that. I imagine in the hotel room you could use a t-shirt, or even the hotel pillowcase. :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Ok, what do I do about my suit? Can I roll that too? :confused: I normally keep my suit hanging in the closet, covered by something that resembles a body bag. Should I just keep my suit in there and take it with me as "carry-on" luggage? :confused:

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Abstract said:
Should I just keep my suit in there and take it with me as "carry-on" luggage?

Yes, do that, the suit is no good rolled up in your backpack. Or wear it. That'll make you look very pro in the airport too :cool:

A

Applespider

macrumors G4
Abstract said:
S@Applespider: Now about the rolling and "quick press," can you actually iron dressy wool pants? I'm under the impression that I can't, and that dry cleaners usually press them a special way. It doesn't have instructions in my pants.

The bathroom is a great tip but it doesn't work on everything. If it's a heavy cotton then the creases ain't coming out with steam alone - I've had great results with dresses doing that though.

Lau's right with her 'damp teatowel' suggestion for your dress trousers. That will stop them going shiny along with the low-heat on the iron. Rolling them though really shouldn't make them need ironed though. If it's a good hotel, you might also find a trouser press in the room which do work incredibly well

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Ok, thanks alot guys. Its 2am here right now and I still didn't know what to do about the suit. I've never seen anyone bring a suit on an airplane as carry-on, though. Although it's possible I haven't noticed because I wasn't paying attention to such things. :confused:

Right now, my suit is rolled up and I actually shoved it into my 60 litre backpack. :D Now I'm going with the carry-on idea.

I'll check back for a reply, but in case I don't, then have a nice time.....you know.....posting here and such.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Abstract said:
Ok, thanks alot guys. Its 2am here right now and I still didn't know what to do about the suit. I've never seen anyone bring a suit on an airplane as carry-on, though. Although it's possible I haven't noticed because I wasn't paying attention to such things. :confused:

Right now, my suit is rolled up and I actually shoved it into my 60 litre backpack. :D Now I'm going with the carry-on idea.

I'll check back for a reply, but in case I don't, then have a nice time.....you know.....posting here and such.
Plenty of people bring garment bags as carryon... they also lay it out across the top of the overhead compartment which can get annoying if they don't get to it before everybody attempts to retrieve their own bags from underneath. :p

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Coming from someone who wears a jacket and tie 6 days a week (me!):

If you are going to iron anything, iron the collars. The collar of the shirt is 80% of the presentation, because you can adjust how tightly it's tucked in to minimize wrinkles. As long as you have a stiff, clean collar you'll look sharp. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.