How do i post streaming Quicktime?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacDuff, Mar 25, 2003.

1. MacDuff macrumors regular

Hi,
    Does anyone know how to properly post streaming Quicktime files on a webpage? I have some small home video in quicktime that I'd like to post. I can hand code the page but I don't know the actual script for this task. Viewing the source code for other pages hasn't gotten me too far either. Anyone ever do this and can help me?

thanks

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Apple has a quicktime streaming server.. So you might need the server to do it.

3. gschumsky macrumors member

Easy. Just use the embed tag, like this:

<body>
    <embed src="file://filename.mov" width="320" height="240"></embed>
    </body>

In the file:// area, make sure to put the correct path and filename. Then make sure to use the correct size of your actual movie.

Also, when making your QT movie, have "Fast-start for internet" checked. This will allow it to begin playing once enough has downloaded.

These are known as http streaming movies, and you can use any server to host these.

If you want to do an RTSP (real-time streaming protocol)movie, then check out Apple's great info (and get the QT streaming server for free while there) at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tools_tips/tutorials/streaming.html.

How's that for help? :cool:

4. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

gschumsky -

you are the man. I'll get on that. it looks like the server info is down on the apple site, maybe they relocated.

I'm making my Quicktime from iMovie. Is that option: Fast start for Internet, in iMovie? or do i need to use something else to have that?

Thanks for the help.

bhilldesign.com

5. gschumsky macrumors member

6. gschumsky macrumors member

Okay, I see that I'm pasting the whole link, but the forum keeps condensing it.

Not problem.

Go here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

Then go to tools and tips, and click on the Quicktime Streaming link where it says "Delivery" at the bottom.

THAT should do it. :D

7. gschumsky macrumors member

Oops!

Make sure to click on tutorials, then QuickTime Streaming...

This has been a lonnnng day.

8. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Does this actually stream a video feed? Or does it just optimize a video file for playing as you download it.

9. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot man, I'll check out the link. looks like this can happen.

10. gschumsky macrumors member

This is more for playing produced videos on the web.

Now, if you want to stream a video live (say, of the boxing match between your cat and dog...), then you should get the QuickTime streaming server, and/or the free QuickTime Broadcaster (did I say FREE??!?!?!?!?!), which is also on the Apple site under Quicktime/products.

I'm going home now, so save your questions for tomorrow.:cool:

11. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Ah, I understand now, I was confused. Does this mean that the file can not be actually downloaded if it is set up this way?

12. gschumsky macrumors member

Well, if you do an http streaming video (that is, a clip for instance, or a movie trialer like on Apple.com), then, yes, it is downloaded to the viewer's drive as it is being played. It's considered streaming because you don't have to wait for the whole file to download before you can play it. And unlike Windoze Media and Real Player files, QT pro users can save the movie after seeing it. Plus, you have Text tracks, great for interactive
    training...something those other formats really don't offer (WMP kind if does, but it's a complete kludge and works only 1/10th of the time). The other nice thing we have in QT is the ability to go back and forth anywhere in the movie when played on the net, whether it's http or rtsp streaming (unless it's a live feed of course). RTSP streaming though, does not allow the viewer to save the file. It loads to the drive, but erases it on the fly, thus not needing so much free space to download to and play.
    Broadcasting is a form of RTSP streaming.

Make sense?

13. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

gschumsky -
    I'd like to be able to download actual Quicktime videos from the web but sometimes I can't and sometimes I can. When I right-click on the video i'll get the box that has 'plug-in settings, save as quicktime movie' - but most of the time the save option is faded out therefore keeping me from being able save. I've tried to fix that various ways but usually fall short. You seem like a guy who would know how to get this accomplished. any suggestions?

14. gschumsky macrumors member

Well,

When some people make QT movies, there is an option to disable saving, so the save feature in QT pro won't work. Chances are, these are the one's you have been encountering (some people really want to protect their stuff). Or, if the video was rtsp streamed, then you're out of luck as well (like Jobs' keynote for instance).

I have heard rumors if you option-click on the drop down box, that will let you save the movie...

It's all kinda in the luck of the draw.