Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snoop1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Basically I have two user accounts.

One user connected via wifi.

2nd user i do not wish this account ever to connect to my wifi, as it will use a usb dongle which i have from my work place, for the internet.

is this possible for 2nd user to never connect to home network wifi etc?

If this makes sense please advise!

btw, using macbook air, just purchased today

cheers all

Nov 28, 2010
located
What about removing the home WiFi network from the Preferred Networks list in System Preferences > Network > AirPort/WiFi > Advanced? Could that work?

snoop1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Sorry, if you read my earlier reply, it does not work, I just tested it with two different accounts. Disabling WiFi in one account disables WiFi for all other accounts, thus my edited post between yours.

Yeah, i originally tried this earlier, i would of thought disabling on one account wouldn't disable on all...but it does...ffs.
any way around this? i NEED the other account to not log onto my wifi

cheers

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
Could you use a parental control on it. I'm not by my computer so I can't test but look at the parental controls.

snoop1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Could you use a parental control on it. I'm not by my computer so I can't test but look at the parental controls.

cool. where can i find parental controls pal?

----------

i found parental controls, but can't find anything about wifi on them..

any more tips or advice would be top draw

thank you all !!!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
While it isn't automatic, I use the ability to set separate locations to switch network access. Easily switched from the Apple icon on the menu bar. For example, I've got the following locations set up:
Home: WiFi only (preferred home wireless network), VPN and Ethernet disabled.
Home without wireless: Ethernet only, WiFi and VPN disabled.
School: WiFi (preferred school wireless network), VPN enabled, Ethernet disabled.
Work, Guest: WiFi (work's wireless guest network), VPN enabled, Ethernet disabled.
Work Network: Ethernet enabled, WiFi and VPN disabled.
(I use VPN to access home when away, but not within my work's secure network).

snoop1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
While it isn't automatic, I use the ability to set separate locations to switch network access. Easily switched from the Apple icon on the menu bar. For example, I've got the following locations set up:
Home: WiFi only (preferred home wireless network), VPN and Ethernet disabled.
Home without wireless: Ethernet only, WiFi and VPN disabled.
School: WiFi (preferred school wireless network), VPN enabled, Ethernet disabled.
Work, Guest: WiFi (work's wireless guest network), VPN enabled, Ethernet disabled.
Work Network: Ethernet enabled, WiFi and VPN disabled.
(I use VPN to access home when away, but not within my work's secure network).

please excuse my ignorance, how to set the different internet settings for each user?

many thanks

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
please excuse my ignorance, how to set the different internet settings for each user?

many thanks

You can't, but each user can change the setting. It isn't really possible to have per-user settings of a system resource on a system that allows multiple users logged in simultaneously (which OS X does).

If you really need to prevent the system from accessing the WIFI deliberately then you need to sign into the network using a password which is not saved (don't check the "remember this network" box).

----------

Parental controls can be used to control Safari access to websites, but not Internet access in general or which adapter gets used.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Parental controls can be used to control Safari access to websites, but not Internet access in general or which adapter gets used.
But you can limit access to apps which access the web or the network. It's not the ideal solution, but could be a workaround.

snoop1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Sorry to bump my own thread but i still havent gotten to the bottom of this.

I have 5 user accounts on my mac.

ONE of them i want to be connected to my WIFI connection.

The other FOUR i want WIFI disabled permanently and for the connection to by via my THREE broadband dongle which i plug in via USB.

Is it possible to make this happen? I simply cannot afford for the other accounts to connect to my WIFI for security and personal reasons.

Is there an app that could help?

If anyone could shed light, that would be fantastic.

Thank you

Snoop

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
You can't do what you want, since the network settings apply across all accounts.

But you can just have your Mac not save the network password. You have to enter it every time you log in but it prevents other users from accessing the network.

AQ1225

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
Just do MAC address filtering on your wireless router - this way only your MAC address is recognized and the other people cannot log into your wifi even if they have the SSID password

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Just do MAC address filtering on your wireless router - this way only your MAC address is recognized and the other people cannot log into your wifi even if they have the SSID password

The computer has the same MAC address regardless of who logs into an account. The OP wants to allow WIFI access from only a single account on his computer.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Sorry to bump my own thread but i still havent gotten to the bottom of this.

If u haven't found a solution in 1 year then perhaps there are none.

Those USB dongles, are they cellular dongle then, not WIFI dongles?

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well if you only want yourself to have WiFi, the only thing I can think of is to set up a dummy WiFi router and have your computer connect to that by default. Then require the admin password (yours) to switch to another network. Just remember to switch back to the dummy network before logging off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.