How do i put all my itunes music onto my external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptainCaveMann, Nov 18, 2006.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    Help everyone! I just bought a 250 gig external WD mybook. Its awesome but now i need to know how to put all my music on it. :confused: Im running Panther if that makes a difference?
  2. xlosltove777 macrumors member

Sep 19, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    This is what I did to move files, I'm not sure if its the best way and I'm not sure if it'll work the same on Panther. But it's worked in OSX and Windows version of iTunes 6(maybe 5 I'm not sure) and later.

Make sures OSX sees the drive
    Open iTunes
    Go to File-->Preferneces
    Go to the Advanced Tab
    There should be near the top a iTunes Music Folder Location , hit the Change button.
    Direct it to the external HD and then hit ok on the bottom.
    Then go to Advanced-->Consolidate Library
    A warning box should come up and hit consolidate library and it'll go.

Remember to plugin your drive when u open iTunes, somewhat randomly iTunes will realize songs aren't there and when then when your plugin in your drive and your just letting iTunes shuffle it'll skip over because it won't recheck them.
  3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    Hey Captain Caaaaaaavvvvvve maaaan!

If you already have an iTunes library, you should be able to simply copy it to your external drive - and then next time you open iTunes, hold the 'option' button - should prompt you to create a new library or choose a library - just choose the library you've just copied to your external drive and away you go.