How do I put movies back to back without having to encode them again?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnbro23, Dec 31, 2005.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I have a movie broken up into 2 parts. I want to make it into one file again, but its a big file and I don't want to have to encode everything again. I have Final Cut, QT Pro, and iMovie '04.

2. wiz7dome macrumors regular

wiz7dome

Do a search for MPEG Streamclip. Its free, it doesn't re-encode unless you want it to.

3. cwright macrumors 6502a

You can also use QT Pro to copy and paste all your quicktime movies into one file and save it without re-encoding. It's pretty simple, just make sure when you save the new movie that you check "save as self-contained movie" rather than a "reference movie".

4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh ok, I'll have to try that. So how do you copy and paste qt movies into one file?

From what I understand, all QT pro is is just a player with extra exporting capabilities. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, putting in a QT Pro key just unlocks the encoding and editing capabilities that are already there in every QT installation.

6. chopsuey158 macrumors member

I combined two audio files using terminal. I'm not sure if this would work with video, but if all else fails it may be worth a shot. The command is "cat" and then drag the two files in, one after the other and then ">" and then you have to put in the name of the new file (i just dragged one of the seperate parts in again and changed it a little bit). Good luck.

7. cwright macrumors 6502a

It works just like in any other app, CMD-C to copy and CMD-V to paste.
    Open the movies you want to merge together, pick one of them, then select all and copy. Then go to your other movie, move the playhead to the end (or wherever else you may want) and paste into it.

8. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured it out, you just open up the movie, select all, paste in a new movie. Thats pretty cool.