How do I put on weight?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I am currently 6'4" and I only weigh around 130lbs - 140lbs. I have a problem with eating. I can only eat very small portions at a time getting full extremely quick and I refuse to eat red meats. Also I have a very fast metabolism along with that. So, I was wondering is there any easy way to gain weight. My ideal weight would be like 185 - 200.

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Hostess twinkies and coca~cola for breakfast, fried chicken for lunch with mashed potatoes and biscuits and gravy, and a sensible spagetti dinner, chocolate pudding for dessert with a glass of milk. You too can be 230 lbs in no time!:p

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

There's no healthy way to do it.

Milkshakes and French Fries since your not a Red Meat eater.

I hear that McDonalds chicken sandwiches will put a few pounds on you too.

There's also weight gain shakes, but I'm not sure if they are over the counter or not.

Hey, be happy your thin. Be careful what you ask for :D

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Why not try protein powder?

If you're already pretty stickly, start working out, you'll be jacked in no time.

ps, feel lucky you're slim.

5. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Yes - work out to add good weight and eat plenty of carbs and protien...most of us don't have this issue...;)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Maybe you don't have a fast metabolism. Maybe not eating a lot makes you think you have a fast metabolism.

I'd start by eating larger meals. Eating more + gym/working out. And I hope you don't tell us you can't eat any more, either. If you won't eat more food, this thread is essentially over.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Red Meat would be fastest...but lots of fried food, donuts might work to. Make sure you eat lots every chance you can.

Or you might be "doomed" to be skinny...how big do you want to get? I'm 6.1 about 167(I just eat some fried, idea tea and 2 hambugers, so it could be slightly less) And I'm still pretty slim, and I eat whatever I want, whenever, and don't worry about my weight, plus I eat red meat so,

You have a lot of work ahead of you!

8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

9. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Lets not tell him to eat fatty unhealthy food to gain weight. Just increase your daily intake of food, if yo can't eat a lot in one go, eat multiple times a day. I would also recommend getting into red meat.

Going to a gym is also a good idea.

...but whatever you do, do not eat McDonalds or what ever, every day. You may gain some weight in the short term, but in the long run your body isn't going to be happy.

Also another consideration, how old are you. If your young you will find as you age your metabolism will slow down.

10. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Just like they tell football players...

Go to the gym, get a good amount of protein, and try to up your calorie intake.

Also try eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or two right before bed and wash it down with a glass of whole milk.

11. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

I would talk to a personal trainer about weight-bearing exercise you can do to increase muscle mass, perhaps. Is your doctor concerned that you're "underweight", or do you feel that you want to bulk up for cosmetic reasons?

I don't know how old you are, Hummer, but I can tell you from personal experience (alas) that as you age, you might find yourself gaining weight more and more easily. If you're perchance a teenager, and male, you're likely not through growing yet. Guys often have a way of growing tall, then wide. It doesn't always happen at the same time. :)

If you want to add some calories and fat without going completely overboard on the junk food, how about some nutty granola, or avocados (mmm guacamole...), or whole-milk yogurt?

12. nitynate macrumors 6502a

If you take any ADHD medications, get off of them.

If you really want to gain weight, talk to your doctor about seroquel.
    Hah. I gained 15 pounds in a week and a half. :p

13. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

My doctor tells me all the time that I'm underweight and that I should be eating more. I find myself never really hungry though so I have no want to eat. When I do feel hungry I'll consume like one eight inch plate of food and I'm full for another 8 hours. It would also be nice to bulk up for cosmetic reasons, because right now I'm like a bag of bones. I am 16.

14. nitynate macrumors 6502a

BTW, you are lucky.
    I am 6'1 and 115lbs.

I eat 5 times a day in large portions. People ask my parents if i am "sick" :p

15. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I am 5 foot 11 and weight 200 pounds.

its not much greater on this end either cause it aint all muscle.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You should be talking to your doctor and/or a licensed dietitian instead of soliciting for random advice from people who really don't give a ****.

17. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

You sure are lucky. I wish I had your problem! Try eating lots of protein and muscle training. It should bulk you up

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I would say eat lots of carbs and watch a lot of TV if you want fat.

If you want muscle weight training with long slow moves of heavy weights.

At my most trim I was 250 but below normal body fat.

19. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

You know, Hummer... I'm not a doctor (so disclaim disclaim disclaim), but if you're eating enough to satisfy you and continue your growth (you're a very tall guy, so obviously this isn't an issue), you're probably eating just fine. And if your doc is legitimately worried that you had some kind of eating disorder, "eat more" is not the best advice to give.

I know many men who were gangly, thin teenagers who grew into healthy guys at their ideal weight (not to big, not too small). I hope you can give it some time and hang in there! You sound like you've got your head on right. Good luck!

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Get someone to put you on Prednisone.

As a 6'6"er who used to weigh 170lbs soaking wet and always wished for more weight, no matter how much crap I ate... once you hit 30, you'll probably end up with all the weight you can handle. Right now I wish I could be 250 soaking wet.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A stressful desk job, beer, and marriage should pack on the pounds. ;)

22. vniow macrumors G4

Why would you want to gain weight? If you just had the right outfit you'd make a fabulous emo. You've got the body for it.

23. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Hey I'm guessing you're a guy -- how old are you? Why do you want to put on weight (e.g. health or just lookin good?)?

Odds are, with a fast metabolism (and if you are a teenager or early 20s) your body simply isn't getting the protein it needs. I suggest a protein shake for breakfast (morning is a good time to ingest protein). Whey protein is considered "complete" in the sense that it contains all the proteins your body needs to synthesize muscle tissue -- some protein (steak, e.g.) doesn't contain all the proteins and must be consumed with a complementary protein for maximum benefit.

Your body will grow muscle just in the course of your normal day, and if you are already exercising regularly (playing sports, running, whatever) you will probably add mass and tone simultaneously.

If you're really interested in it, I suggest Arnold Schwarzzenger's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding. While its aimed at bodybuilding (which is probably not what you want to do), there is also lots of information about diet and exercise which can apply to any person looking to stay lean and fit. The pictures also give you a good image of how muscles develop, which is useful in gauging your own progress and adjusting your routine to stay balanced.

If you're really really interested, consult a dietician.

Edit: I read the whole thread. I was really skinny as a teenager, started working out in college and got a bit bigger. Instead of focusing on eating a lot, focus on diet and fitness. If you exercise enough, your body will demand more calories to keep up. Consume these calories as complete proteins and you will grow muscle. To some degree, it also takes time. Your body is so busy growing up that it doesnt have the time or energy to grow out. As you move through your development your body will begin to fill out naturally. If you're busy exercising then you will fill out with muscle tone...otherwise you'll fill out with fat.

24. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Get married and get a good sofa and a lovely telly :)

Your BMI is 17, while you should be in the 18.5 - 25 range (150-200 lbs). 175 sounds like a decent compromise, rather than aiming for the upper end of the scale.

Iron supplements might help build your appetite to help you put on weight.

25. smythey macrumors regular

The best way to gain weight the right way is to build your muscles, and replace any fat with muscle, which is heavier.

Increase your excercise and start doing free weights (this will make you hungier also). A month or so in, start eating more protein (eggs, milk, cheeses, milkshakes- :p)

Worked for me!, or maybe Im just getting older.....