How do I record what is being played from within the Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by animefx, Feb 23, 2007.

1. animefx macrumors regular

On the PC (windows) is easy to record audio that is coming from "within" the operating system, I just record Stereo mix and it will record audio from whatever I do in Windows.

What If I want to record as a Wav the text to speech feature built into mac, or some audio from a youtube video, or audio only from a dvd that I have playing in the Mac? Please don't suggest putting a microphone up to the speakers or anything like that (it sounds terrible that way anyways), I want to just hit record in a software program.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks,
    -Bryan

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

wiretap

But there are restricition from within other programs. For instance apple's dvd player wont even let you take a screen shot much less record anything.

3. anothernewbie macrumors member

4. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

I second WireTap.

Edit: You can use Automator's "Text to Audio File" action to record you're Mac speaking.

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Trying recording with garageband....just put the volume on high. I think there is even a better way for free, I will look tomorrow for it.

6. setso macrumors member

On the PC (windows) is easy to record audio that is coming from "within" the operating system, I just record Stereo mix and it will record audio from whatever I do in Windows.

..sorry, but i can't find any option in Windows XP SP2 like "Wave output" etc
    ..and i'm nearly about to switch from pc to osx for recording with mac tools
    ..can you conform that option in the windows mixer ? ..it's really not there !

7. Samwise592 macrumors regular

ummm... why not just connect an audio cable from the speaker out to the line in?

8. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Because the input volumes would be to loud, to much gain, yada yada....(I tried it in OS 9)

9. donovanchase macrumors newbie

As far as the speaker out, line in answer; I think that if you go into preferences you can lower the line out volume (and maybe the line in sensativity also?) wich will reduce the volume/gain. It may require some trial and error though. Good luck.

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I've been using Audio Hijack Pro for a long time.I highly recommend it.

11. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

you can take a screenshot of the DVD player if you use anything but the keyboard shortcut for OSX.

13. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Take Screenshots Without The Keyboard Shortcut? How?

I don't know how to do that without the "shortcut". Please explain how you do that. :confused:

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki