How do i reinstall OSX, without losing any of my docs?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wylie, Apr 8, 2004.

1. wylie macrumors member

ive been told i need to re-install OSX on to my Titanium PB, but i dont want to lose any of my documents or applications

can someone give me a breif step-by-step of how to do this please?

not super-techy talk though if poss, simply put for my g-friend to do later tonight

thanks

(its a dual-boot PB btw, so i dont want to overwrite OS9 either?!?)

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

3. wylie thread starter macrumors member

can i not try the disk-utility features first before i re-install?

What does first aid, repair disk etc all do ?

is this worth trying?

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Just out of interest what problem were you having that you need to re install OS X?

Just interested :D

5. wylie thread starter macrumors member

ok, i transferred files using firewire cable, from my desktop G4 to my titanium PB G4

I didnt eject the mounted disk, and it came up with an error 'you may have lost some data blah blah.'

from then on my PB wont boot up at all, it gets stuck on the grey screen with the white apple logo...it sounds like its really trying to boot up , but it dosnt !

ive tried booting in OS9 and it won't, and im now pondering how to fix this problem, because i dont have a clue, and dont want to do some serious damage?

can you help?

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

OK, i guess a re-install is the way to go

For OSX boot up on the CD and as said before go with the "archive and install" option

If you can't get OS 9 to work either you may have to reinstall that too, but you might need to move your files to the OS X Partition since 9 doesn't have the same option of installation.

That should sort your problem out

Come back if you have anymore problems :)

7. gopher macrumors 65816

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Why would unplugging your network cable trash 2 operating systems, one of which wasn't even running at the time? How long have you let the grey screen with the apple on it sit there? Closer to 30 seconds or closer to 15 minutes? It sounds like it's working--either looking for a network that isn't there anymore or fixing something.

Before you reinstall the OS, flash your PRAM (command-option-p-r on startup, let it chime 3-4 times) and reset your firmware (command-option-o-f while starting, then type reset-nvram followed by reset-all. See if that fixes your problem and make sure you're giving your machine plenty of time to boot. Based on what you described I don't see why you'd have to reinstall the OS.

9. wylie thread starter macrumors member

ok have reinstalled osx and its come up with powermac software with documents:- read this first, insall mac osx, Apple hardware test read me, Install Applications and os 9
    Next step??????