How do I remove a hard drive from an old imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MoncoZero, Jul 8, 2007.

1. macrumors member

I still have my 233 MHz imac G3. I turned it on and deleted all the personal info I could find, but I wouldn't want somebody recovering files and getting my SS number. Is there a procedure to follow when getting rid of a computer?

2. macrumors 65816

frankblundt

If you still have the system cd for it you should be able to boot from it and do a full format of the internal drive.

Not that even that is 100% secure but it generally puts it beyond the cost/benefit scope of people who might be interested in your data.

3. thread starter macrumors member

originally i did not think i had the cd, but i kept cleaning out my old room and found it. I held down c, rebooted from the software restore cd and a weird DOS like screen came up. It says:

"DEFAULT CATCH!, code=400 at %SRR0: 0020c444 %SRR1: 40003030
    Apple iMac Open Firmware 3.0. f2 built on 04/23/99 at 14:31:03"

now i can vaguely remember messing around with my firmware after i got another computer. I do not believe i can restore this software, and am now back to my original plan of removing the hard drive.

4. macrumors newbie

5. thread starter macrumors member

wow, why couldn't i find this, guess i'm not a very good googler. this is just what i need, and since i am getting rid of the computer i dont have to be all that careful or even static free!