Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Hello all,

I owned this iMac G4 for two years now, and when I bought it, it had a Kensington lock, whose wire was cut, that I couldn't remove. I tried recently again since I wanted to perform a full clean-up of my computer, but I still couldn't do it. I tried using the cardboard technique, tried to use a flat screwdriver, nothing worked, even trying to remove the thing from the inside of the iMac failed. I even tried a Kensington key I found from someone, but it wouldn't fit, I assume because they're all slightly different. I could try and cut the whole thing somehow, but I'm really afraid to damage my computer. Any tips? Thanks.

Reactions: 128keaton

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hello all,

I owned this iMac G4 for two years now, and when I bought it, it had a Kensington lock, whose wire was cut, that I couldn't remove. I tried recently again since I wanted to perform a full clean-up of my computer, but I still couldn't do it. I tried using the cardboard technique, tried to use a flat screwdriver, nothing worked, even trying to remove the thing from the inside of the iMac failed. I even tried a Kensington key I found from someone, but it wouldn't fit, I assume because they're all slightly different. I could try and cut the whole thing somehow, but I'm really afraid to damage my computer. Any tips? Thanks.

Could you please post some pictures so that people here can get an idea of what you'd have to do?

Reactions: 128keaton

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Here:
IMG_20150929_120448.jpg

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Alright, so we pretty much just cut the lock straight in half using a grinder wheel or whatever, and it worked just fine. After two years, my iMac is finally free from his prison :D ! Thanks.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Alright, so we pretty much just cut the lock straight in half using a grinder wheel or whatever, and it worked just fine. After two years, my iMac is finally free from his prison :D ! Thanks.
Can we see after pictures? Add it to the wiki! BTW nice job on page management :)

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Sure, but tomorrow, because it's 2 AM here. Sadly, I've got some really sad news regarding my iMac G4, which I will also explain tomorrow.
Surely it can't be as sad as me accidentally killing my HD6790 with 120V

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Surely it can't be as sad as me accidentally killing my HD6790 with 120V
Well... I guess I'll just say it now. When putting a screw back, I accidently pulled off a capacitor off the board (the one next to the white screw) :eek:. I really hope there is a way to re-solder the thing, or hopefully the system will run without it at all, but I doubt that. Otherwise, I guess it's another hundred dollars spent on a new logic board. :( Will post pics tomorrow.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Well... I guess I'll just say it now. When putting a screw back, I accidently pulled off a capacitor off the board (the one next to the white screw) :eek:. I really hope there is a way to re-solder the thing, or hopefully the system will run without it at all, but I doubt that. Otherwise, I guess it's another hundred dollars spent on a new logic board. :( Will post pics tomorrow.
Well, good news is that I tried to boot my iMac without the capacitor in question, and it booted and the fan span. The bad news is that it beeps three times when starting the computer. Best case scenario, the memory is just poorly inserted, bad case scenario, I damaged a memory stick and I'll just remove it and buy a new one later, and absolute worst case that the missing capacitor is what causes those problems, and thus I'll need to replace it or buy a new logic board entirely for $100 or so. I need to post pictures, but I'm too lazy right now. I'm still shocked by my huge mistake I made.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Well, good news is that I tried to boot my iMac without the capacitor in question, and it booted and the fan span. The bad news is that it beeps three times when starting the computer. Best case scenario, the memory is just poorly inserted, bad case scenario, I damaged a memory stick and I'll just remove it and buy a new one later, and absolute worst case that the missing capacitor is what causes those problems, and thus I'll need to replace it or buy a new logic board entirely for $100 or so. I need to post pictures, but I'm too lazy right now. I'm still shocked by my huge mistake I made.
We all make them. I'm sure everyone has a tale similar to yours.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
We all make them. I'm sure everyone has a tale similar to yours.
Phew, the problem was the best scenario, both memory sticks were just really poorly inserted, I don't even know how did I overlook that. :D Anyway, I got the chance to boot up my computer (I also downgraded the hard drive to the one that came with the system due to the fact that I don't need that much storage), and I actually didn't format the drive so I could boot into the OS, and it was absolutely full of crap software. I pretty much checked that everything works, and everything does, so, good news. :) The only problem now is probably to replace the disc drive door, since it has trouble closing, opening, the spring is missing, and the pads on the inside are missing. Then it's just cleaning the computer on the outside, gluing a tiny piece of plastic that fell off, putting new thermal paste, and taking photos of the computer and then it's ready. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.